3 Replies - 270 Views - Last Post: 22 April 2019 - 05:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How would a Jr. Dev go about creating a intranet/sharepoint site?

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

I am a junior Web Developer, who knows how to create basic Web sites, very simple applications, forms, databases and a bit more, and I was wondering what would be the best approach on creating an intranet/sharepoint site for a company of around 130 employees? They would also like for me to convert their PowerPoint slides into video training modules.

I am not looking for someone to do my work, but I was wondering if anyone had advice or links for research? There is already a server with lots of space, MS Access for the DB, just needs the site that under 150 users can use, with basic intranet/sharepoint sections (departments, news, log in, contacts, projects, knowledge/documents, etc.) as well as a section for training modules. The most complex section would be the training modules; I should be able to code the site mostly, but I am not experienced in creating portals, and my authentication experience is still fairly new.

I have the data to go into the videos based on powerpoint slides, but need to get it into the right format, track WHO finished the videos, upcoming training and more. Just basically needs to verify that the user finished the work. I am open to paying a fee for templates or software to integrate into the site, and ideally expanding open-source projects. Any tips would be appreciated. I read that Joomla might do the job, but heard it is a bit limited. I also looked into MS Sharepoint, but it seems like you need to add lots of unnecessary stuff that the company already has, like a server and database. I am also looking to code quite a bit myself, if possible.

If it helps, I am proficient at HTML, CSS, JS, Bootstrap, C# and SQL Server. Decent at PHP and Java. I would ideally need this done in a month or so, but I work full-time and have small side projects that came first.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How would a Jr. Dev go about creating a intranet/sharepoint site?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How would a Jr. Dev go about creating a intranet/sharepoint site?

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

A few things going on here.. If you need to make an SharePoint site then you need to install sharepoint.. which is a whole big ball of weird.

Example:
https://docs.microso...6-on-one-server

Once that is done, then you can eyeball what you need for 'sharepoint development'
https://docs.microso...sharepoint/dev/

All of that is not part of creating videos nor making a training software portal.

Honestly I would not deffer sharepoint install to a junior dev nor slogging through making a learning management site. Those are both super involved undertaking and need some 'architecture eyes' on it, but so it goes. Hopefully they are forgiving with it all.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 April 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

A few things going on here.. If you need to make an SharePoint site then you need to install sharepoint.. which is a whole big ball of weird.

Example:
https://docs.microso...6-on-one-server

Once that is done, then you can eyeball what you need for 'sharepoint development'
https://docs.microso...sharepoint/dev/

All of that is not part of creating videos nor making a training software portal.

Honestly I would not deffer sharepoint install to a junior dev nor slogging through making a learning management site. Those are both super involved undertaking and need some 'architecture eyes' on it, but so it goes. Hopefully they are forgiving with it all.

Thank you very, very much. You were the first to help me after asking for days, so I truly appreciate it.

As far as I know, you need to purchase MS Sharepoint, and it is charged per user? Does "user" mean admin, or everyone who can log in? If the latter, that will cost a bit, since there are 130ish employees.

Basically, the company needs a site to organize everything, because right now their files and all work materials are only stored on their local machines. No online resources or anything. They reached out to me as a freelance project, and I am honestly unsure if I can pull it off without a decent portion done for me (out of the box or libraries).

The manager is not very technical at all, so perhaps she greatly overestimated what I can so. But I said I would give her a quote... Thanks again :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:00 AM

I'll also point out that MS Access is not designed for concurrent users, even if that number is as low as 150 people, MySQL or MariaDB would be a baseline DB, that would allow growth; SQL Server if they have a running instance currently.

I'll second the Sharepoint thoughts as well. It is too easy to screw up and there are people that specialize in nothing but that for a reason. It seems simpler than it is, only when it was configured correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1