• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1185 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Employer claims they legally cannot make me salary

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

In that case, I wonder if it is where the company is based or what. Because, being a resident of another state, you would be bound by the other states rules as the employee.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

That is interesting, although our engineers here make ~65k and are salary so I wouldn't think we fall under CA laws
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

I am not quite sure why you want to be on salary if you are racking up that many hours. Anything over 40 as an hourly employee means you are making time and a half right? That is seriously good money.

One reason to keep you hourly is that they have more control over how many hours they give you. If they flip around and say you are only going to get 10 hours this week, then there is not much you can do about it.

Another reason to keep you hourly is that they can often give you less benefits.

Either way, I think your situation is simpler than you realize. Either you can continue to forgo your relationship with family and your health to continue making money or make a trade off and go find another company that will allow you to balance your life and work. I have been in your shoes before and honestly I was overjoyed when I found out that I could still make great money and have time for family simply by changing companies.

If you have been doing all the tasks that you say you are responsible for, you are going to have a ton of value for another company. Just imagine that you apply for another job at another company and they were to tell you that you are a salaried 40 hours with unlimited vacation and 20k a year more. Would be nice right? Those jobs exist today.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +