5 Replies - 525 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

***Rant

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

so how many of you have been given a project with a deadline and then all of the sudden they want the project done weeks ahead of time because they took it upon themselves to tell the client that they can have the project done by weeks end?

example: i was given a project (basically create an full stack application from the ground up) and in the meeting for the project we all agreed that i could get a usable bare bones application done by may 31 which would give me 5 weeks to work on it.
well while working on the application the powers at be decided i needed to do 3 other project modifications which took time from my larger project...

well today i was told they needed my larger project done by may 9th because they promised the client it would be done...

i am 1 of 2 software engineers in this company and the other one is just as loaded with work as i am.

like wtf-- who the hell does that..

here is another caveat -- im under contract from an agency and im only allowed to work 40 hours a week max ha so my time is limited there also

so frustrating when people who dont code are in charge of people who do

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ***Rant

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ***Rant

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

Yuuuuuuuuuuup. Shifting deadlines blow. It's been a while since anyone outside of our department pulled that one on us.. in fact they are super duper careful to listen to what is the recommendation. Granted that took a number of years to beat into cadence, and we had backing to push back sans consequence.. but yeah.. that sucsk.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Tell them no. Their incompetence is not your problem. You already gave an estimate of an mvp, and if they are stupid enough to not listen and promise the stars when they can't even reach the moon then that just makes them look bad, not you. You need to learn to say "no". Tell them hire more people, but even hiring and onboarding will be well past the deadline, so that wouldn't even help.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

Pretty normal actually. Politely inform them, they need to manage expectations better and give realistic deadlines.

We have a new system that they want stood up in two weeks and development hasn't started. I told them, "It ain't gonna happen, but your dream has been noted."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

I had a dev lead phrase it this way: "I told Program Management and Marketing that they really should share the good drugs that they are taking with us developers..."
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

My stock answer: time is linear. Unless someone here has come into possession of a time machine, an individual cannot work more hours than exist or do more work within an hour than is physically possible. You get to dictate how our time is allocated and we will do our best to reasonably inform you what to expect from that allocation. If you then choose to ignore what we've told you should happen and replace it with what you'd magically like to happen, the time machine procurement is on you.

The short form of this is basically: "You have given me two priorities, pick one." "But I want both... Now!" "Time machine?" "Sigh... no." "Then pick one."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1