2 Replies - 277 Views - Last Post: 16 May 2019 - 07:10 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Desktop Application - Centralized DB

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:09 AM

I have made a small desktop application which will scan documents from one form and retrieve the same from another form with SQL Server as DB. Works well in LAN. Now we need to use these two forms remotely. ie, Scanning docs from one location and access the same from another location. Tried with MySQL and the problems facing are, 1) Performance / Speed. 2) In MySQL, need to add the host IP whenever the client side IP changes. (Dynamic).

Please help to resolve the issue with a permanent solution idea.

Thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Desktop Application - Centralized DB

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Desktop Application - Centralized DB

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

You'll need some sort of publicly available DB.. Alternatives are an API to connect to.. which are usually hosted on a website or webserver.. so the name doesn't change..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Desktop Application - Centralized DB

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

Provide some screenshots of the forms you made as to give us some idea of the scale of your application. It sounds like you might be best using sockets, as such; tcp sockets could be used if you need to send one document to another receiver form online.

If there is not to much data been transferred over a MySQL server, I can't see how MySQL is "slow" or incapable of performing; as this would be my preference and preferred use. If you decide to go the socket route, steer away from udp protocols as they are notorious for losing data packets. If the document is on your physical PC, you can send files across tcp connections which might suit you.

With MySQL, you could read the document into a table and assign it a new ID. Then your remote form (other user) could type in the ID of the document, and it will auto load into the remote form populating all the fields of that form from the scanned document sent to MySQL.

How are you doing document scanning exactly? If you can provide more details, you might get a better answer.

This post has been edited by Sheepings: 16 May 2019 - 07:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1