Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

592 Replies - 19524 Views - Last Post: 2 minutes ago

#1 andrewsw   User is online

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:27 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 12 December 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Please, regale us with tales of today's adventures and exploits.

This is a continuation of the discussion topic, previous link here.

What'ya got goin' on?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

#2 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:42 AM

So we had our last home visit last night, despite all our worrying it went perfectly fine. Apparently our water temp was well over 200 degrees and is supposed to be 115, but because we have control of the water heater she marked it as in compliance anyway and just told us there will be a note that they need to check it when we get our first placement.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 h4nnib4l   User is online

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

The water temp thing is a bummer. I always keep mine turned way up to simulate having a larger water heater tank - with the knowledge that anything much past the halfway point will require an ambulance ride. I suppose that's not the best strategy with little ones around though...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

Closed on the house in an uneventful flare. Finishing packing this weekend and 95% of everything will be at the new house next weekend.

Work is looking to be interesting today. I also have an interview for a Software Director position this afternoon.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:21 AM

Day two of stupid hot/humid I was not ready for and no AC. On the positive side I forced me out to go see Endgame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

Phone music shuffler managed to bring up Jonathan Coulton's Code Monkey:

Code monkey think 'Maybe manager wanna write
Goddamn login page himself!'
Code monkey not say it out loud
Code monkey not crazy, just proud

and this reminded me of B9's post from the other thread:

View PostBenignDesign, on 06 May 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

My boss's communication and project management skills need some serious work.

I've been telling him for MONTHS, literal MONTHS, that I was working on a file upload feature to populate usernames, passwords, group assignments, and access levels for this damned project.

Today, he sent an email to the client telling them that HE is almost done coding the entire username-password-group assignment-access level-login portion of the project and needed some clarification on some specifics.

Not once has he mentioned that he was building this piece... he just let me waste my time working on shit I didn't need to be working on because he can't be bothered to say, "Oh, no, I'm doing that part. You focus on this other thing."

Grrrr!

Staying home and chilling today. Apparently I had signed up for PTO yesterday and today, but completely forgot about today. Coworkers told me to go home and rest because of all the hours I'd put in earlier this week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:06 PM

Thanks to a huge meeting, my PLC communication service is working for this location now, huge relief considering it was blocking a lot of tickets!
I still need to walk thru a data pump to see how it works so I can spin another up for a different third party integration.

All the house utilities are are set up, current utilities are scheduled for cancellation; and the security company is scheduled as well, i'm getting security cameras to keep an eye on the neighborhood (HAHAHAH), mainly my pool actually. And this weekend may not be anything more that straight packing everything... Though I have an invite for a skeet shoot, I don't know if I'll be able to go to it, which sucks because I've been trying to get these guys together for one for almost 3 years!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

I am starting to question if I am going crazy, or if it is just a fact that I seem to be the only person capable of common sense...

If you needed to create a list of people tied to an event and the first step was to get details of said event from a list of all events, where do you think the ID for said event comes from by the time you want to create the list of people?

I cannot fathom why this has required 3 hours to communicate... or why the question was ever asked to fecking begin with...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 h4nnib4l   User is online

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

You'd obviously get the event ID from the list of people...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

The ID is comprises of the first and third letters of their last name, combined, in descending alphabetically on the third letter but ascending on the first combined with the the sum total of all letters, in all names, from the ASCII tables.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

I am starting to question if I am going crazy, or if it is just a fact that I seem to be the only person capable of common sense...

There's a third option: the communication process isn't working like you expected. It can be really frustrating to keep trying to say something that people don't seem to understand. Sometimes it's your fault, sometimes it's the other person's fault.

I had to take 15 minutes to explain repeatedly that the reason why a duplicated piece of content was appearing in multiple categories was because the content which was duplicated was in all of those categories. It duplicated the content, and put the copy in the same categories. This took 15 minutes to sink in. They thought it should only appear in one category but couldn't explain how to automatically decide which category to put it in. Thankfully I find the patience to keep repeating myself until he figures it out instead of yelling at him, which I really want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

But how do you solve the surprise birthday problem with that ID scheme? (e.g. Trying to invite everybody in a DL for a surprise birthday party for somebody who is also on the DL.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

Surprise parties are not a particular concern with this implementation, given it is related to state-run trainings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

@skydiver. Super simple. The party planner indicates it is a surprise party for person X. When person X looks at the invite it is for something super lame and boring, but required and sees their friends going. Everyone else sees the regular party info.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

Yes, but now you need IDs for the meeting subject/content which will be associated with the ID for the same meeting. If TechnoBear's colleagues already have trouble understanding the concept of an ID for a meeting, this idea of two IDs associated with a single meeting will cause their heads to explode.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »