Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

593 Replies - 19548 Views - Last Post: 2 minutes ago

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ermahgerd! What Are You Even Working On, Like, Right Now?

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 21 May 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Awww, hell. Seems there was an overshoot on a new work request. Time to undo-undo-undo a third of it.

Isn't that just a matter of git checkout some-hex-gobblygook ; git branch here-is-my-new-release ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 21 May 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

he did have in fact a heart attack and apparently doctors said the type he had only 6% of people survive from. Then only .6% escape with no damage. So apparently this guy is super lucky and should buy a lottery ticket.

Unless maybe he used up his luck, and should be very careful going forward?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

Found my self typing up my Mom's adobo recipe in Markdown. What am I thinking? When did I stop using Word as my default word processor?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 21 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Unless maybe he used up his luck, and should be very careful going forward?

Interesting point. Perhaps I will warn him that this may be the case when I see him. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 21 May 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

When did I stop using Word as my default word processor?

I don't know, but it seems like there should be some sort of celebratory rite when that happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#36 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 21 May 2019 - 04:24 PM, said:

When did I stop using Word as my default word processor?

For me, it was after learning LaTeX.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#37 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

Went home yesterday, still with that headache, laid down with an ice pack... woke up to my alarm this morning still in my work clothes from yesterday... so, that was about a 12 hour sleep.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Hope the migraine is better, TechnoBear!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

It's gone now, the 12 hour sleep seems to have fixed it. Makes working on this optimization 1000x easier. She says as what took 26 seconds yesterday just took 36 seconds to run...

...And is failing...

This post has been edited by TechnoBear: 22 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:14 AM

And what does the profiler say about the time spent and hotspots?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#41 TechnoBear   User is online

• Lady A
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:43 AM

Apparently there is a call to IEnumerable.ToList() which is taking about 10 seconds. Which is super curious as there is not a single ToList call in the entire process... Or maybe there is, now I say that...

EDIT:

So, there was a ToList() which was easily removed, however turns out that wasn't even the biggest issue. It just appeared to be.

The ID Column for the table I was working with isn't indexed. This is the problem as it appears that every time a record is created it has to generate a random number and then ensure that the random number it generated isn't in the table or create another random number and try again.

This post has been edited by TechnoBear: 22 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

New rule - don't arbitrarily change your damn formatting because someone thinks it "looks ugly". Dinkus - that formatting is for computer eyes only not human. Keep your peepers, and comments, to yourself and wait for the mill to grind and look at the end product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 BenignDesign   User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:52 AM

The transmission in my car crapped out. It'll go forward, albeit with some hesitation, but it completely refuses to move backward. After pricing new vs. used parts and talking to a couple mechanics, it's going to cost a bare minimum of $2000 to fix it. In addition, there's a hole in the gas tank, a ding in the windshield, and the cruise control stopped working months ago. The current trade-in value on it - in perfect condition - is only $2100. I still owe $800 on the loan I took to pay for it.

There's a "We Buy Any Car" place nearby. According to their online tool, they'll give me $1000-1800 for it... which will pay it off and get it out of my driveway.

Our preferred dealership has a used Hyundai for $6900 with only 52,000 miles. And it's a 4 cylinder so it will be WAY easier on gas given my ridiculous commute (my beat-to-shit compact V6 SUV is costing me $15 per DAY to run it back and forth - eating a hole through my wallet and the environment; two birds, one stone).

My only worry is the bank will deny us another car loan considering how much money they've handed us in the last two years (hub's car loan, mortgage, personal loan to cover closing costs). Credit scores are fine, and I haven't been late on a payment for so much as a water bill for a decade, but I know we're close to the top of our acceptable debt-to-income ratio. So I'm worried about a denial. Not that being denied a loan and unable to buy another vehicle would put us any further up shit creek than we are with the existing loan and a car with a busted transmission. In either scenario, I'm still in need of reliable transportation.

My head is pounding. Adulting sucks ass so fucking hard.

In other news, we're adopting another furry baby of the feline variety! Her name is Clementine, she's a little over a year old, and she's a low rider. She's tiny - only about 4 pounds, with an uber floofy black coat and stubby little legs. Her foster brought her over to our place last night to meet with our boys to see how they'd get along. Our big boy who believes he's king of the world was not impressed. He hissed at her once or twice, but then calmed down and watched her suspiciously from a distance. Our little man followed her around like Pepe Le Pew followed Penelope Pussycat. He LOVED her. It was the cutest damned thing! After they packed her up to take her home (the rescue group is taking her to be spayed on Monday and getting her her final round of shots before she moves in), the little man spent the rest of the night sulking in a corner of the basement. He was so heartbroken that she left. I mean, how could we NOT adopt her after that?! And she has short freaking legs! Such cute, many wow.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#44 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

B9- I'm sorry to hear about your car! The transmission on my brother's car went out a couple years back. He was forced to buy a new car as a result. The dealership gave him a good deal on his trade-in.

Similarly, when I bought my car, the dealership gave me $3000 for my trade-in. Every other place was offering me $2000 for the trade-in.

It might be worthwhile to see if your dealership will do the same for the Hyundai.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 22 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:40 AM

We're supposed to be getting ready for 110 degrees by now, record high is 114 and mean high is 105. Today at 10am it's 65, high of 75. I don't think we've hit 100 once this year. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about temperatures, but things are weird. Average rainfall for May is 0.11 inches and one day, it's already rained a few days. Apparently Colorado got dumped with snow and it killed everyone's gardens. Since Monday the US has had at least 56 tornadoes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »