Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: best way store sensitive data in files

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:22 AM

You are trying to solve a nonexistent problem with a poor solution. I do the services for factories, many of them, all of them on internal network in an environment that has you go through training to understand what industrial espionage and trade secret information is. You need a database. You need a server. You just don't need it to be hosted publicly. It is clear that you don't know how any of this works.

You have an internal subnet for machines hosting anything. None of that is publicly accessible. Doesn't matter if they hit the IP or not, it is internal. If you want to connect to it from outside the network, they have to use a VPN for the connection.

Product numbers do not need to be encrypted. It is data and if you sell anything, they should know the product number. Users and passwords, should be in a database; there is absolutely no reason for them not to be AND if you have any number of users, that is a huge performance issue trying to retrieve them from a flat file, same with products; I don't know about you, but we have 20,000 different product numbers, in multiple systems, on multiple servers. It is everything from raw products to finished goods.

Your whole thought process on this has you going down the wrong pathway for a disaster waiting to happen. What happens when you expand ten fold, and the system now takes minutes to look something up? This is a poor idea for a school project and completely asinine for real world usage.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: best way store sensitive data in files

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

That was really helpful!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)