• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 1815 Views - Last Post: 30 May 2019 - 12:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is learning BASH worth it?

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys! I actually wrote a very simple program yesterday (the first program I've written in Bash without following a tutorial or looking anything up!) that gets user input about the time of year and temperature outside and determines how likely you are to see a grasshopper given those two variables. It's actually a port of a program I wrote a year or so ago when I first started programming. Don't ask me where I got the idea from, I honestly don't know :P/>

This post has been edited by 8Bit Bob: 30 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:31 AM

Hmm... there is a case statement you can look at. It's a little wonky, but no more so than the rest of shell scripting. Also, you can use functions, which could be helpful. You can also nest ifs. Since you now have something, take it and play around with other features. See if they improve things or aren't worth it. Either way, you learn something.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 30 May 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hmm... there is a case statement you can look at. It's a little wonky, but no more so than the rest of shell scripting. Also, you can use functions, which could be helpful. You can also nest ifs. Since you now have something, take it and play around with other features. See if they improve things or aren't worth it. Either way, you learn something.

Alright, thanks for all the suggestions! I figured when I posted it on here someone would say there are more efficient/better ways to write it, and that's exactly what I wanted! That's the best way to learn ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

What gets even better is when you internalize those comments and start doing that critique for yourself. Then you're not just learning new techniques, you're also learning how to drive yourself to greater heights.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

Well, I've created another simple script, this time with a bit more use I would say. It's just a simple program that grabs the html code from any url you'd like and dumps it into a text file.

I must say, I've really been enjoying Bash so far :D

This post has been edited by 8Bit Bob: 30 May 2019 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +