4 Replies - 152 Views - Last Post: 01 June 2019 - 11:04 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

HDD Click Loud While Not In Use

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

I have WD Black 2.5'', and it click once very-very loud when he is in idle, after around 5min. It's working 24/7, for last 5 or more years, and its like that from the beginning, it starts working fine, no sounds, Windows are set to not turn it off, because it didnt make differences, i put it on 30min, and it started to walk on my nerves now, and i want it to stop, because its louder and louder over time.
Its working perfectly fine, very quiet, seek time are between 8MS and 16MS, depending on load, read speeds are up to 320-360MB/SEC on tests, motor are fine, speeds up in around 1500-1700MS, but sometimes its a little bit above 7200RPM, S.M.A.R.T. arent showing anything wrong, except maybe to much working hours and 250K load cycles. Since its rated to 600K, i used WD Idle 3 tool from WD to set head parking from 8 to 300 sec, because i thought, it may be connected to the sound, because after 5min of idle, it click, sometimes 5min idle, click, 5min continue idle, click again, and it stops. I wake him up, work something, i go, 5min, click. Leave him over night, he wakes up to do some tasks, when finished, 5min idle, then click, and because it makes same click sound if he lost power (in his life time he lost around 100 times power due to OC BsoD and other unpredictable things. Because of couple of torrents and tasks, over night it clicks maybe 2-3 times, loud enough to wake up the dead. I tried disabling head parking, so if it doesnt park, it doesnt click, except on shutdown or power lost, right. Wrong! After 5min of idle, he clicks. I put parking on 1sec, nothing changed, it still clicks after 5min of doing nothing.
Now IDK if its the head, is it normal (my other WD drives doesnt act like this one), or maybe head parking are fixed to 5min, and changing its value actually doesnt work, even its saved/changed, its still 5min, really dont know.
Any suggestions? Does your drives click after idle ignoring settings such as power management or so?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: HDD Click Loud While Not In Use

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: HDD Click Loud While Not In Use

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

I wild be highly concerned about this starting the 'click of death'. I would suggest replacing it ASAP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:47 PM

It make sense, because all other WDs are usually marked as up to 300K head parking times, and my Black got 250K ATM, that make sense, and WD have different setup head parking times, like Green, park all the time to save power, low warranty, most click of deaths, Red with extremely long wait before parking, lots of warranty, Blue in the middle, average warranty, Black with more waiting and warranty, but Blacks are rated for 600K head parking times, probably because its better parking plastic, but still a plastic, if i shake it, head doesnt fly away from parking position, at least for now. Or maybe some electricity pull the head to hard and make big click, or parking plastic are wear out makes no grip to catch the head, so it hits.
I would like to hear from others if their drives act like this, specially WD Black 2.5''.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

I assume it's out of warranty? If not I would think pressing WD on it and seeing what their tech support says.

Other than that - I know that any extreme clicking or thunking sound is your warning to get out while you can.

I would be curious to see how long it lasts. Please keep this thread in mind, and good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:04 PM

Well, i just got home and pulled the S.M.A.R.T. with AIDA64. I gave some wrong numbers, disk itself are still in perfect shape, no doubt about that, but numbers i said are way above whats expected to be alive.

WDC WD7500BPKT-22PK4T0 (WD-WXC1A72S6802)

Spin up time are 1600MS (perfect), its been powered on/off 2700 times (perfect), lost power 170 times (perfect) in 50 000 working hours (thats 5.7 years of working 24/7, according to Wiki POH no disk should exceed 43 800 hours or 5 years), and the biggest thing are head parking (that i tough its 250 000), it parked 1 830 000 times (i first tough its 180 000, but its way above WDs standard for 3.5 of 50 000, 2.5 of 300 000 and WD Black of 600 000).

I put the screen shot of it in attachment, and i will continue to use it, so we will see how long it will last from now on.
Im making backups on 2 drives, one obtaining backup each year, another one obtaining backup every month, and sometimes i duplicate some projects and lucky files on Micro SD/USB/external HDD/etc., so no panic if it decide to say bye-bye. :angel:/

But most hearth breaking is that, this Black little Scorpion are my friend since 2011 or 2012, thats 7-8 years, never letting me down, zero defects, zero failures. According to WD support, his warranty expired 10/28/2017. My dear friend are dying, because of one yellow peace of plastic. :no:

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 01 June 2019 - 11:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1