12 Replies - 908 Views - Last Post: 07 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Feel Stuck in Life

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

The time in Malaysia now is 2:15 am where I believe most of the Malaysian are sleeping now. :sleep1:

But me still sitting in front of laptop, thinking how to solve programming problem, which has stuck me for almost three days.

Sometime I would like to think does this job is right for me?

I like to code. I almost code when I'm free. I don't mind to help others, because I know I can learn while helping others.
But, I easily to get stuck!

At first I thought that I getting stuck is because lacking of programming skill. Sooner I realize that the main problem is not because of the skill, is because of the logic.
It takes me plenty of time to solve even though the question might sound simple to others.

Are there any way to improve my logical thinking?

Programming skill can be improved by reading and writting, but how about logical thinking? :cry2:

This post has been edited by wseng92: 03 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Feel Stuck in Life

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Feel Stuck in Life

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

Solve puzzles, read architecture posts/books/etc, examine github projects for layout, and so on. At least that helps for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Exposing yourself to various other algorithms and design patterns tends to help with the logic part.

Personally, the best thing to do when stuck is to first just walk away from the problem and let your unconscious take a stab at it while you are off doing something completely different. If you are into sports, play them (or watch them). If you are into music, go play an instrument, sing, or just listen.

If you get back and your unconscious still has not come up with a solution, do some rubber duck debugging.

If that still doesn't help, follow the steps in How to Ask Questions the Smart Way to put together a question and post it.

A quarter of the time, my unconscious does most of the work, then the other half explaining the problem to a rubber duck or another person, or writing up the question for a post leads to an Aha! moment. The last quarter sometimes really just involve a lot of slogging through the problem and trying to either break it down to simpler problems, or find analogies with other problems that have known solutions.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

POPULAR

Yes.. expose yourself.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

Programming can be tough but I doubt that you cannot improve yourself. I have been stuck just like you in my high school where I was exposed to the programming for the first time and I was bad. I mean that in terms of rushing to code, and not stop to think about the nature of the problem first.
My teacher was teaching us not to rush and our exams were different than the other classes. What we ended up doing is solving one problem in multiple ways, not calling them done when they are done the first time they get solved.

You should embrace the nature of the problem you are solving. Not every problem can be solved fast and the speed highly depends on the person. And if you do manage to solve them, I can bet that you are in that minority of the ones who did it and not called it a quit.

Concrete solution. Go back and practice mathematics. It teaches us the rhythmics of problem-solving and the ways to approach them. Problems in CS overlap with the ones in Mathematics and are a subset of it, and you should not be afraid to learn them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

i surf the web and look at cars when i am stuck on something----- or i come here and ask for some fresh eyes.

a lot of time you really arent stuck but your mind thinks it is from viewing the same code day in and day out...

take a break
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Tips that help me, but help others too...

1) DarenR has one of the key ideas, take a break. Literally go away and relax, do something else, don't think of the problem so intensely. Even when it is not on your active mind, it is getting chewed on in the back. Sometimes what you are doing to relax gives you an idea on solving the problem. Ever heard of the "Eureka moment"? That is what they are talking about.

2) You can improve your thinking. Read books under the topic "Critical thinking". These books are teaching you reasoning, arguments and logical thinking. They are not at all about software development. They teach you where to find flaws in an argument, fallacies and how to reason about problems. You really only need to read 1 or 2 books on the subject to get the gist of what is going on. I even took a class on critical thinking and it was easy to say it was one of the best classes I ever took. We talked about how to reason an argument, why commercials are full of fallacies and things like causation (just because two things happen, one after the other, doesn't mean they are related).

3) Sometimes we slam our heads into a problem over and over again from the same perspective. Go read some articles or read other people's code. They often provide a completely different perspective. That or their perspective is going to show you insight into why your solution might not be working.

You have to understand that we are human and if all problems were easy to solve, there would be none left for us to solve. There will always be more problems in the world. Your solution itself may generate new problems. Just realize your limits, try to push them but never at the expense of your health and your sanity. You should not be up at 2am, probably dead tired, running on caffeine or junk food and staring at the same old code. Get some rest. My best solutions always come in the morning. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 03 June 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

3) Sometimes we slam our heads into a problem over and over again from the same perspective. Go read some articles or read other people's code. They often provide a completely different perspective. That or their perspective is going to show you insight into why your solution might not be working.

What has often helped me is explaining the process & logic to someone that isn't technical. This forces me to slow down & think through each step, repeating the process verbally & from memory, allowing me to see where something does not make sense, or where I struggle to think of the process. It's a little time consuming, but incredibly effective.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

man I am pretty bad at programming tho thus my IQ is around 150 somewhere. But maybe because I take really intensive courses only one month so maybe too much in such short period.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:56 PM

View PostRealme, on 03 June 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

man I am pretty bad at programming tho thus my IQ is around 150 somewhere.

I think you have that backwards, as your IQ isn't a measurement of your programming ability. You would be bad at programming because your IQ is low.

But that's ok, you'll figure it out ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

@no2pencil, what I think he was resolving to admit is that he doesn't focus, and THAT'S probably what impedes him (intense courses over one month).

I think @Realme is hinting at a truth I've long observed and learned from training as a classical violinist, some things simply can't be rushed.

@wseng92 you've had some good replies and I thought I'd chime in, too. I'm a 50 something, started programming as a kid in the 70's.

Stuck isn't so bad when it's on a problem. It's uncomfortable, I know, but that isn't as bad as what happens when someone is stuck in a routine of life that doesn't support development.

Confusion is the state of mind you can expect just before you learn something. It is, in part, that moment when you've become aware of what you do not know. Before that state, confusion is absent because the awareness of that lack of knowledge or comprehension is absent when not even trying, attending something else in life.

If confusion refuses to break, it may well be the subject is dense and not being consumed in sufficiently small pieces. Keep in mind no matter how complex software may seem to be, the poor CPU is only capable of some basic math, a memorized trig table, blessed with a square root engine, but otherwise only knows how to zig and zag about memory at high speed. With those humble, simple skills it ends up playing music, rendering 3D worlds and connecting all over the planet.

You really only need some handful of skills, too. They'll link up into ever increasingly complex results, but really, most of it breaks down into small, understandable parts.

Emotional blocks are particularly difficult to handle. The anxiety caused by the periodic confusion common to learning causes many to drop out of the study. Try to recognize that the human brain, not just the mind but all the way to the hardware that animates it, is built to understand these puzzles.

My favorite illustration of this is when I teach the occasional teenager about trig. I start by informing them they've solved parts of the law of cosines since before they were 1 year old, and they do it automatically every day. Of course they don't believe me. Yet, they have no choice once I explain that when they reach for an object, without realizing they imagine a line from their shoulder to the target. That line is measured by the mind, and implies, through the law of cosines, that there can be only one angle for the elbow given the lengths of the two parts of their arm on either side of the elbow which results in the distance from shoulder to target. The brain automatically solves the problem and commands muscle to assume that angle. Repeating a similar trig from a different branch, the angle of the upper arm (the shoulder joint) is adjusted to meet the target - and suddenly, without effort, the hand reaches for an object. Now, I say these things in the context of teaching them to write the software to control a robotic arm, using inverse kinematics - the target expressed in a linear coordinate is translated into the rotational commands required to reach that target.

As complex as that may sound, a 1 year old does it so often that parents spend most of their child's first 3 years trying to stop them from doing it, grabbing everything.

There's a small part of every kids brain that's a trigonometric genius.

The brain, down to its circuits, can do this stuff. Factually, neurons can be fashioned into the very type of logic gates you may know from digital electronics (or boolean algebra). The "AND", "NOT", "OR", "XOR" gates (and relate NOT versions) can all be fashioned from neurons and their connective axions. Your brain can do this stuff.

You just need to let it. Patiently. In small enough chunks to get it. Even if you have to back out a bit and try again from simpler perspectives.

Most of us that write software (and have for years) took countless hours toying with every concept in simple ways. The build to a critical mass of understanding, after which the rest becomes much simpler.

Let some of the greats guide you. Some of the best books on the subject are listed around the 'net.

Keep asking. Find as many in the study you can interact with and commiserate.

Specifically for logic, while there are some puzzles to try, I think really what you're describing is analysis, engineering and invention.

If you know the language, and you know the logic operators ( x &= 0x010 for example ), if you know switches, "IF", loops, then you know logic. If you're not familiar with the logic of recursive algorithms for sorting and searching, or of how has tables are created - these are "standards" you can read upon.

For something more specific I'd need an example of some particular idea you'd describe as having you stuck, but I doubt it is a really permanent condition.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:07 AM

Thanks guy for all your suggestions and advices.
I really appreciate you guys taking the time to write all that.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

I frequently have what I call, "I swear I'm not incompetent"/ "I swear I do know what I'm doing" moments. Most of the time, they occur when I am either doing something new; or, I am staring so hard at the tree, I can't see the forest.

I eventually break thru and solve the issue and occasionally it takes me longer than I think it should: as an example I am building a Windows Service currently, I have been struggling with it for two weeks now. I had the breakthrough on actually getting the service to run correctly and do basic things, but now I need to post over 11 year old code that was an API for some reason into the actual service. Adding to the stress, this is a high priority project that has everyone from the IT director on down waiting for me to move though it so I can go on to other projects; the frameworks that we have for API code is nonexistent for this type of service; and even my manager is thinking, "You can use this to make it easier", well no I can't because the process is different.

The struggles suck, but the breakthroughs are euphoric. Remember that you remember failures more than successes and and if everything was easy, it wouldn't be as engaging or fun in the end.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1