9 Replies - 942 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2019 - 03:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why to learn Python ?

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:34 AM

Hi,
Please do not think subject line of my post as offensive.
Tried to make it short and clear.

Am a VBA developer, primarily work on MS Excel macros.
I am trying to learn Python.
Reading books and Forum for getting trained.

However, at present I am not sure how Python will help me.
I want to learn Python, I have started learning the same.

But still not able to understand how I will use Python skills for my current role.
Or, considering my present field of work, how Python will help me (post my training) to grow.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why to learn Python ?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Why to learn Python ?

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:57 AM

At present I am reading ‘Beginning Programming with Python for dummies’ by John Paul Mueller.
Can I my integrate Excel and Python knowledge for Excel automation.
Or I should start comparing or mixing both and look Python as different product altogether.

How Python will help me leverage my MS Excel capability and vice versa.
Or there is no real need to integrate both.

Am not sure, if I get myself trained on Python, will it be complete shift from current role.
Please pardon my ignorance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Salem_c   User is online

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

https://www.google.c...xcel+automation

> Why to learn Python ?
> Am a VBA developer, primarily work on MS Excel macros.

Python is a general purpose, OS and application agnostic programming language.
Which means you can pretty much do whatever you want, wherever you want.

The benefit of knowing a different language is that you may be able to solve your current tasks in a more efficient way, and also take on different tasks which were previously out of reach.

Let me put it this way, would you hire a carpenter who only knows how to use a hammer?

The more tools you have in the toolbox, the better off you'll be in the long run.

This post has been edited by Salem_c: 19 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Surprisingly, one reason is the people. The slogan used to be "come for the language, stay for the community", but having been to PyCon for the last two years, I think it might really be the other way around. The python community - particularly in Boston, due to the local user group, but not limited to here - is unlike anything I've seen anywhere else. The Python Software Foundation, which is the organization tasked with facilitating the development of the python ecosystem, has made consistent and successful efforts to build a great global community of developers. Sometimes things go sideways, as in any group of folks (see PEP 572: WTF Just Happened?) but as you can see when this sort of thing happens, the community takes the time to retrospect and improve itself (see A New Era In Python Governance) in response.
This is probably not the sort of thing you were looking for, but most of the python programmers that I know value this community highly, and so I think it's worth mentioning up front. Anecdotally, when I was just getting into software, I talked to a friend of mine who was well into the Ruby community, and he told me, using these words, that folks he knew in that world were "intensely jealous" of the python community.

In more obviously practical terms, python is a very good language for web development, with two dominant frameworks (django and flask) and a number of lesser-known but still well made and well supported ones as well. It's got a huge base in data science and scientific programming, with libraries like numpy, scipy, pandas, astropy, and so forth. Pretty much any numerical computation you want to do is probably supported in python with fast libraries using C and FORTRAN under the hood to circumvent the inherent performance limitations of a high-level language where needed. It's not a big language for game development, but the pygame library is popular and folks do fun stuff in it. Beyond that, python's library depth is pretty remarkable - the standard library has tons of sweet stuff, and because the PSF has focused on making it easy to share code, supporting code for just about any area of work is readily available. So basically, one of the great things about writing code in python is that a lot of it has been done for you.

It's also a good language for learning and developing your skills. If you're working on a problem set like Project Euler or Advent of Code or rosalind.info, it's easy to focus on solving the problem instead of having to spend your time thinking about the language.

View PostSacPy, on 19 June 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:

However, at present I am not sure how Python will help me.

All of the above being said, it might be that python isn't the language you need right now. That's fine too. Learning languages is hard, even when the language is python. When you have a good idea of what you want to do in python, that's a really good time to learn the language. It'll go a lot faster and it'll be a lot more fun when you have a good motivation.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

While not a Python developer, I've used it for very small, limited, & niche cases. I will say it's power from my experience is that it provides shell level access, easy administration installations, & since it's a scripting language it doesn't require time to compile. You just sit at the wheel & punch the gas.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

Hi Salem, Jon and No2Pencil,
Thanks a lot for your kind words and time.

Have a nice day ahead. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:12 PM

I am a bit of a late comer to Python but I have found it incredibly versatile and simple to use language. When you come from worlds like C# and Java, you can easily see how much you can get done in Python with much less code. I suggest you keep at it and it won't let you down. Python is a great language for making utility scripts. I am not a huge fan of it for web dev, but jon does make a point with django and flask. Both are pretty cool.

You are not wasting your time learning it. It is actually one of the languages I recommend to beginners as a first language to learn. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for the help Martyr2, have a nice day ahead. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

Python is an awesome language! Writing quick scripts, automating tasks, crunching data sets, and testing other systems, Python can do it.

If you're a beginner/intermediate programmer, I definitely suggest learning more about Python. Right now, it might not be the best time for you to learn Python. But keep it in mind when you're looking to expand your technical skills :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:34 AM

Hi DonSandbekkhaug, thanks a lot for the help.
Have a nice day ahead. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1