• +

16 Replies - 909 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Extreme data compression with specific data

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:49 AM

View PostDaviFN, on 26 June 2019 - 12:42 AM, said:

I still don't get what's the difference between a random generated file and any othee file (since randomness can generate any file, although unlikely to be a specific one), given my approach.

The difference is the amount of entropy in the data. It's easier to compress the complete works of Shakespeare than it is to compress a given sampling of thousands of monkeys banging on keys randomly on typewriters. The former has lower entropy than the latter. Lower entropy compresses better because patterns can be analyzed out of it. Encrypting data tries to increase the entropy of the clear text to make it harder to analyze the data and get information out of it.

I appreciate that you are trying to find patterns in the randomness by taking a different approach. You are trying to find the magic one-time pads generated by some power of a prime such that parts of that pad match up with parts of your data. That way you can just tell the receiver which pad to use and what part of it, much like a bible code by treating a bible as the code book or pad packet. I wish you luck in your search because perhaps you'll make a breakthrough to change the face of information theory.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Extreme data compression with specific data

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

You could take the approach taken in this old Reddit thread about finding a prime whose bits look like a giraffe. In your case, you are looking for a prime or a prime raised to some power that looks like Lena.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +