7 Replies - 405 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2019 - 09:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Databases, where to start?

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Hey, everyone!

As a disclaimer, I'm very new to all of this. Ultimately, I am working towards a web-based database that allows me to search, update, and connect contact information for clients, and have that all display on a website.

i.e. I search for the Chief Information Officers of all Companies in the Atlanta area. (This would be information manually entered over time by myself and other users). I would want the contacts to 'belong' to certain users, but be visible to all users.

From the feedback I've gotten so far and what I've read, I need to tackle database first.

I spent a few hours last night doing basic SQL courses on Code Academy. I am getting a grasp on how the language works, and what some of the common clauses and statements do to the data. The problem is, when doing these tutorials, it seems I'm just inputting them into a command line to display results in an adjacent frame. That means all of the data is already somewhere behind the scenes and I'm inputting commands into an existing infrastructure to display the data in various different formats. What i don't understand yet is how do I get the database into existence? How do I get data points into the tables in that database?

1. Do I need a program for the database? Is it text, spreadsheet, etc..

2. With the tables, it just seems like a series of spreadsheets. Is this how I store the individual data points?

3. Where should or can I house these databases? Could I house them on something like a Google Drive or Dropbox? Does that make sense? or should I house them on a physical server?

4. Is there a preferred database and language combination that would allow me to more easily query 20-30 data points each for over 100,000 contacts?

IMMEDIATE GOALS for the Database

I. I would like to be able to add to, query, and update/edit a database entirely from a website.Basically I want to be able to take a contact book, phone book, etc.. and be able to "Add Contacts" from a web interface.

A. I would like to have three contact types. Essentially "Contact" (individual People), "Company" (Companies & Organizations),
and "Project", things I am working on for a particular contact or company.

II. I would like to be able to later go back and search contacts based on one of the data points in the Contact profiles and return all of the results for contacts that met that criteria.

III. I would like to be able to open the contact from that queried list (i.e. click on the Contact Name) and open up their "Contact Profile" to be able to edit things like The Company they work for, whether they are a decision maker in that company, and their contact information.

IV. I would like to be able to similarly create a database of companies, through the web interface, that stores a list of companies, which could have a similar Company Profile to the Contacts Profile.

A. Ideally, this company profile would be linked or connected to the "Company" field in the "Contact" profile, for which company a specific individual works for. (I'd rather have a format that allows for the selection of a company, or that auto-completes company names based on what a user is typing, but that is more advanced now than where I am.) For now, I'd be happy if I could see on the company profile a list of employees that have that company listed under the company section of their profile, and click on an employee name under the company profile to open the employee's "Contact" profile.

B. Inversely, I would love to be able to have the same happen under the Contact profile, I can click the company name that is listed in the individual's profile and it would open up that company profile, displaying what I'd outlined in IV-A.

V. I would also like to be able to view and add the Projects that I am working on within a company, and link them to the company that I am working for as well as the individual(s) within that company who are important to its work flow.

I guess my first task is figuring out how exactly I get the database started. What software do I use or not use to start storing the data.

My company does have a physical server, so eventually I could probably store all of this information there, but for now, this is just a side project of mine to help make my/our lives easier here at work, so I'm not going to have access to that. If there's an option to store the actual databases somewhere like a Google Drive or dropbox that would be ideal.

Any input is appreciated!

-Jeremy

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Databases, where to start?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Databases, where to start?

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

What i don't understand yet is how do I get the database into existence?

You install it. Be it MSSQL, MYSQL, MariaDB, AccessDb, etc.

How do I get data points into the tables in that database?

Outside of a direct import of data, you write an app that connects to the database server, and it sends INSERT commands with data.

2. With the tables, it just seems like a series of spreadsheets. Is this how I store the individual data points?

Yes, data is row and column based. Relationships are formed between keys and relationship tables of keys.

3. Where should or can I house these databases? Could I house them on something like a Google Drive or Dropbox? Does that make sense? or should I house them on a physical server?

An actual box, or most webhosting has a MYSQL instance attached to it.

DB servers are not static files so Google Drive or Dropbox is not an option.

4. Is there a preferred database and language combination that would allow me to more easily query 20-30 data points each for over 100,000 contacts?

Most that I mentioned above would work. Well.. exclude Accesdb.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

My thought, Database Design for Mere Mortals
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Yeah.. end to end books are a good place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 June 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

An actual box, or most webhosting has a MYSQL instance attached to it.

DB servers are not static files so Google Drive or Dropbox is not an option.

Most that I mentioned above would work. Well.. exclude Accesdb.

Okay, so I'm messing around in a free hosting platform currently, so that I can test some of the things that I do and figure out all the great places I'm about to fail.

There is an instance of MYSQL. is there really any major differences between MYSQL or other relational database formats? I would imagine they are mostly the same backbone with a different interface to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

They are usually ANSI, but there are more differences than just the front end. For what you are after, MySQL is more than adequate though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

Conceptually - naw, MSSQL and MYSQL are pretty darn close to the same.. maybe a few niche function names are different, but in the grand scheme of learning things it's not a big deal.

You can also install MSSQL or MYSQL locally on your machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

https://www.ampps.com/

As a possibility to get you started locally.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1