5 Replies - 460 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2019 - 12:21 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginning of beginnings.

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hello there, my name is dako. I am a neophyte in the truest sense of the word. When I was a kid I did a lot of online gaming in emulated servers and admired the programmers who read those servers more than I have ever venerated any other group.
After some years living reckless, probably because of my depression and socially misfitting tendencies I got into some trouble. I am now trying to make a better life for myself and I do not have any doubt that computer science is the answer for me. I never was able to find an outlet so pure and whole that let me escape from the real world as computers. Unfortunately I know nothing about the technical side of things. I have been learning programming to an extent but am still a total beginner. I know a bit of Java and C++ but am entirely unsure what to do with my current skills and how to further advance them.
I also know nothing of the jargon of software nor of hardware and networking. I am reading articles but they tend to lead to more questions that answers. My solution? Find a forum that looked encompassing and welcoming. I hope that I can meet some good guys and girls on here that will help me in my endeavors to become a professional programmer and computer scientist and may even become lifelong friends.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this. And now for my first question that I am sure will get some scoffs... What is the name of the language/protocol of the blocked code that people use inside of these text boxes to write for instance "["code] or [bold] and what is some of the useful syntax? Such as... is there one for indentation?

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginning of beginnings.

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginning of beginnings.

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:24 PM

Hello dako, & welcome to Dream In Code!

I truly hope that we can be a positive outlet to your growing skillset, as well as professional development!

Looking forwarding seeing you become a member of our community! :D :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

Welcome, glad to have you!
Learning your way around the terminology and jargon is tricky, but it's pretty essential.

One thing to bear in mind is that computer science and software engineering are quite different things, and this is reflected, among other thing, in their jargon. CS is a branch of mathematics, and as such it is concerned with concrete reasoning about strictly defined abstract entities. Computer science terminology is in general exactly defined, it means one thing always, although the definitions can be stated in different ways and different examples can be found. Software engineering is a branch of management as much as anything else, and its jargon tends to be fuzzier and looser. Like a poorly-made sweater, I suppose.

I am reading articles but they tend to lead to more questions that answers.

This is normal. In fact, almost every question worth asking has this property. It's frustrating at the start, but once you have a foundational understanding of the material, you will find that every question leads outward from your center, into new territory, which is a beautiful thing.

A useful bit of terminology from the world of graph theory: when you're getting confused by jargon, you should always try to prefer a breadth-first search over a depth-first search. That is, don't fall into a hole trying to chase each new piece of terminology as you encounter it, but instead try to understand one thing at a time. (the reason is that knowledge is an infinite graph, and depth-first search on an infinite graph is not likely to terminate - and yes, you will understand all of that before too long if you keep at it)

What is the name of the language/protocol of the blocked code that people use inside of these text boxes to write for instance "["code] or [bold] and what is some of the useful syntax? Such as... is there one for indentation?

I don't actually know if the markup language used on this forum has a particular name. It seems a bit weird and idiosyncratic, and the implementation here is a bit buggy. You'll get to love it, though, it's how you know you're home.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:28 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 01 July 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

Welcome, glad to have you!
Learning your way around the terminology and jargon is tricky, but it's pretty essential.

One thing to bear in mind is that computer science and software engineering are quite different things, and this is reflected, among other thing, in their jargon. CS is a branch of mathematics, and as such it is concerned with concrete reasoning about strictly defined abstract entities. Computer science terminology is in general exactly defined, it means one thing always, although the definitions can be stated in different ways and different examples can be found. Software engineering is a branch of management as much as anything else, and its jargon tends to be fuzzier and looser. Like a poorly-made sweater, I suppose.

I am reading articles but they tend to lead to more questions that answers.

This is normal. In fact, almost every question worth asking has this property. It's frustrating at the start, but once you have a foundational understanding of the material, you will find that every question leads outward from your center, into new territory, which is a beautiful thing.

A useful bit of terminology from the world of graph theory: when you're getting confused by jargon, you should always try to prefer a breadth-first search over a depth-first search. That is, don't fall into a hole trying to chase each new piece of terminology as you encounter it, but instead try to understand one thing at a time. (the reason is that knowledge is an infinite graph, and depth-first search on an infinite graph is not likely to terminate - and yes, you will understand all of that before too long if you keep at it)

What is the name of the language/protocol of the blocked code that people use inside of these text boxes to write for instance "["code] or [bold] and what is some of the useful syntax? Such as... is there one for indentation?

I don't actually know if the markup language used on this forum has a particular name. It seems a bit weird and idiosyncratic, and the implementation here is a bit buggy. You'll get to love it, though, it's how you know you're home.

Haha wow this was an awesome, well thought out and welcoming reply.

There are two search algorithms exist for binary tree: breadth-first search (BFS) and depth-first search (DFS). BFS search nodes level by level, starting from the root node. ... DFS behave differently. It checks all nodes from leftmost path from the root to the leaf, then jumps up and check right node and so on.

And I learned something :D.

I very much look forward to making this place my home and first forum where I feel like I belong to something. As a collective and as an individual.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:30 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -