3 Replies - 165 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to monitor web traffic on my router?

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

If I am letting people use my router password, but would like to monitor what sites they are visiting and the content they are downloading, how is this done? I am new to tech and especially hardware so if at all possible please keep jargon to a minimum or at least explain it when you do use it. Thank you!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to monitor web traffic on my router?

#2 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to monitor web traffic on my router?

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:47 PM

Two separate ways that I would approach this is to first buy a 2nd (possibly disposable) router, & installed DD-WRT. This is software specifically for providing a new OS with lower-level access than the manufacturer intended. The 2nd option would be to use a firewall based OS like PF Sense that sits on a stand alone PC between the router & the modem, or could even be the router itself. This software monitors all traffic, & can provide detailed reports like you are requesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 01 July 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

Two separate ways that I would approach this is to first buy a 2nd (possibly disposable) router, & installed DD-WRT. This is software specifically for providing a new OS with lower-level access than the manufacturer intended. The 2nd option would be to use a firewall based OS like PF Sense that sits on a stand alone PC between the router & the modem, or could even be the router itself. This software monitors all traffic, & can provide detailed reports like you are requesting.

Okay, so (and sorry I am new to tech) if I do not currently have the disposable router, how do independently download the pfsense type OS on my current pc so that I can monitor the traffic / packets? Or is this a request that is likely not possible?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

You wouldn't install PFSense onto your current PC, it would have to be on dedicated hardware that sits between the modem & the rest of your network.

& I only suggest a disposable router, in the event that you brick it. It's best not to step to the edge on production equipment ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1