14 Replies - 1495 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New form of logic. Need help. Not theory, have working models

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:05 PM

I created a calculator only using the scripting commands in the video game Counter-Strike, bind (for input) echo (for output) and alias (for the logic). Bind is to connect keys to a command or string of specified commands, echo is to output text to the console, and alias is a command that allows you to create a new command out of a string of specified commands. Basically, I can do math without using math. This is pure connectionism, where there are no values, no logic operators and no measurements in the logic. It is purely making, breaking and using connections and nothing else.

The first few paragraphs from my paper that I am working on:

How To Compute Without Variables, Logic Operators or Measurements

Work in progress

I have come up with what I believe is a new type of logic, it is mechanical in nature, but because I could maybe see it done on the quantum level it could be far more complex than any mechanical machine has ever been, in ways not seen in physical mechanical devices.

This logic is pure connectionism, only using connections and nothing else. I look at it as a geometry of logic. My system performs the logic only using one command without numeric variables, without logic operators, and without measurements. This is neither digital nor analog logic.

This is not theory, I have built a working model using this logic that demonstrates if-then, do-while, a randomizer, a relational database and other logic, including a rudimentary calculator that adds/subtracts/multiplies/divides. In the working model I only use one command for hooking in the input, a few commands for output, but all the logic in between is one command that does nothing but link commands together.

The logic demonstrated in this model uses the command “alias”, which is used in a FPS video game called Counter-Strike, which is a modification for a video game made by Valve called Half-Life, which is based on id Software's QuakeWorld engine. This command is used to link various commands together creating a new command that executes a command string, to provide a way for customizing the interface of the game. This logic requires input and output provided in the game - which, no doubt, uses Boolean logic to perform, but the logic itself is contained to using the one command “alias” and does not use Boolean logic.

A readable-online version of the paper (no download, unless you want a Word copy) app.box.com

You can also find the paper here, but you have to download it to read it: github

I suggest you start with the simple version of the calculator that does just add and subtract: github

And the complex calculator has much better inline commenting: github

I am interested in taking some of the logic, perhaps the most complicated part - the grenade throwing script, and visually re-creating it in Minecraft. This part of the logic performs the permutations of a math question I came up with and was answered by using the ancient Chinese Pascal's Triangle in a new way. It is similar to the question of how many combinations of 4 hats on 4 pegs you can have, and I just had to count the pegs as part of the permutation where they did not.

Here is the question:

"You have a combination padlock with four dials on it. Each dial has the numbers 0 through 4 on them. The lock can have as many 0s as dials, and is set to 0000 by default. The lock does not allow you to use any number between 1 and 4 two or more times in the combination. The following combinations are valid: 0123 1234 0103 0010 4031. The following combinations are invalid: 0113 4014 0202 4444. How many possible combinations are there?"

The solution to this word problem is here, notice that it is a new use for Pascal’s Triangle, because it values nothing as something:

mathhelpforum

I desperately need help writing the paper, it is obvious I never have written one before. I can't offer any money, because I plan to put this in the public domain. I will certainly give credit where credit is due, though. Please contact me at <Removed> or the more reliable <Removed>

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 03 July 2019 - 11:22 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed email addresses per site policy.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New form of logic. Need help. Not theory, have working models

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New form of logic. Need help. Not theory, have working models

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:25 AM

Why would you beat so far around the bush by using CS engine?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:31 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 July 2019 - 12:25 AM, said:

Why would you beat so far around the bush by using CS engine?

Excellent question, very valid. I started playing Counter-Strike when it was beta. I was upset with the difficulty of buying items in the game during gameplay, and decided that I could do something with the scripting to make that easier. That was the whole original point of this. It expanded as I made other things that annoyed me in the game easier. Over a 6 month period from around November of 2000 to May of 2001 I just pushed myself farther and farther. The grenade throwing part of the script is definitely the most complex and hardest to understand. It allows you to select the order of grenades you want to buy and then the throwing order of one key to throw them with. Then for fun, just to see what I could do, I created the AutoTaunt. It will automatically taunt based on primary taunts, secondary taunts, weapon type taunts, and weapon specific taunts. It is hooked into firing your gun, you say the taunt then start firing when you press fire. Most the time it says nothing. There are settings to set it to Low, Medium, High and Extremely Obnoxious. Trust me, it works very well and demonstrates a randomizer and relational database used together with this logic.

Two months ago I created the calculator to show I could do math without using math - by using this logic of pure connectionism.

Thanks for asking that!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:33 AM

Mkay.. then explain to me what you mean by "pure connectionism".

Follow up:
Pardon my crapping on your Cheerios, but this is all just basic math with extra steps with little to no benefit.

Alias maps to actual values. I am not certain why this is ground breaking, or note worthy, but I may be just tired and not reading it right.

Then again I could be off put by a file called "slapaho11.zip". Really??

Nothing is super articulated on why this is imperative over other forms of math with less steps. Please explain.

Kudos for thinking outside the box, but you could have done more.

Perhaps explain a basic math problem this solves, how it solves it, how a regular math problem would be solved, and the benefits of doing it in CS's scripting engine.

If you really want to bake your noodle go explore lisp or scheme.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:55 AM

By pure connectionism, I mean that the code comes down to one command alone - alias. There is no math. I can name any tune in one note.

If you look at the paper it describes how I perform the permutations of that math problem I posted with nothing but connections.

Slapaho comes from my in game name in Counter-Strike. I originally created this in 2000-2001 as a way to simplify the interface. It blew up far more than I ever thought possible. You really should look at the AutoTaunt in the script itself, it demonstrates a randomizer hooked to a relational database that automatically taunts when you fire your gun, with settings of Low Medium High Extremely Obnoxious only using connections.

Like I said, I am sure the code that allows me to do this logic uses Boolean logic, but the logic in and of itself in this script does not use Boolean it is nothing but connections.

I don't know what can be done with it other than the things I did.

In other words, I don't need a Turing machine to do this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:59 AM

*shrug* Again, and this may be late-night-pessimism, but you did basic math using a game. Minecraft did similar things with redstone, but more sensible. Just because you say 'character jump' means 'add' (or what ever) is not overly ground breaking, and yet to articulate a benefit. All I see from your 'subtract' is math done with more steps and obfuscated.

I guess I'll wait for that example of regular math vs this math, or I get more sleep
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:04 AM

Did you look at the complex calculator?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:37 AM

*shrug* New day, new eyes, and it still looks like basic math with just more steps muddled with trying to hackie-script out CS games.

I'll wait for a clear example or an actual explanation of "pure connectionism".. because as of right now it seems like someone's been in the weeds too long to see above them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky   User is online

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

View PostJohn Phantom, on 04 July 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

By pure connectionism, I mean that the code comes down to one command alone - alias. There is no math. I can name any tune in one note.

All of math comes down to just sets in the end. And yet there is math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Just scanning through the simple calculator, there is nothing new there. All it is that he defined a finite state machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 04 July 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

Just scanning through the simple calculator, there is nothing new there. All it is that he defined a finite state machine.

All machines are finite. Simply by applying a measurement to infinity makes it no longer infinite.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:25 PM

I was using "finite state machine" as a term of art, not as a description. See Finite State Machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:57 AM

View PostJohn Phantom, on 04 July 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

Still math: https://en.wikipedia...n_(mathematics)

To fair, a mathematician will claim everything is math. However, if you're going to claim you somehow have a new f(x), that's not f(x), you'll need to be a lot more conversant in the language you're trying to refute.

Sounds like you made a cool mod and managed to squeeze a lot more out of it than you expected to. That's cool; take the win. This "new form of logic" assertion will not be a win, I'm afraid.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101   User is online

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

To fair, a mathematician will claim everything is math.

As a mathematician, I can confirm this.

you'll need to be a lot more conversant in the language you're trying to refute.

I second baavgai's point. I would also suggest taking a Mathematical Logic class to understand what a logical system actually is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

John Phantom: If you were impressed with what you could do with alias, try learning Forth where : is a more powerful version of alias. Even better with Forth, you can make full use of a push-down automaton rather than just finite state machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1