• +

27 Replies - 3081 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Funny

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

POPULAR

Racism aside, this meme is lame af and not even funny. Then again, I have a higher standard of dankness.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

View Postwseng92, on 09 July 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

I posted this in another site and someone said that this sounds a bit racist to them (I don't know why). But I think is better to take it down.

I think it's safe to assume that anyone reasonably familiar with American culture would immediately see this as a racist joke, and not a very funny one. However, it is not safe to assume that all of the users of an internationally accessible site are familiar with American culture, so let's break this down a little so you can see why people are finding this in poor taste.

The joke apparently hinges on the implication of marital infidelity, the husband's ignorance of that infidelity, the fact that the other man is black and the (apparently) married couple is white. We're meant to assume that this is a married couple, that the wife is having an affair with a black man, that affair has resulted in a pregnancy, that the husband is not aware of any of this, despite the apparent racial disparity between the couple and the child.

First of all, none of these assumptions are licensed by the image. This might be a married couple, or it might be a shacking-up, or it might be a homosexual parent plus a donor (egg or sperm, we don't know) or the woman might be a surrogate. Or perhaps the couple is part of a poly-pile, possibly including the third man. Many other permutations are possible, of course. If the couple is a married white couple with an apparently interracial child, this could result from a previous marriage, adoption, or (I suppose) a surprising surfacing of some recessive genes.

The reason people consider this image to be racist is that they understand that seeing it as a funny image requires that we make all of the above assumptions, which implicitly buys into a slew of ancient and unjustified stereotypes about race and sex, and in addition we have to have the notion of "cuckolding", which has become a strong trope on the white supremacist right in the US and possibly in Europe as well. We also have to buy into a fear of "mixing the races", which is an idiotic notion that has raised much titillation and terror among the white supremacists of the world, and in fact was at the core of the recent shootings in New Zealand.

So basically, people think it's a racist joke because they do a lot of implicit analysis and determine that the joke is one that is meant to be funny to racists.

What I'm curious about is whether the "+" and "-" symbols have a meaning in racist meme culture that I'm not aware of. The culture of racial hatred has taken to memes and emojis in a big way, and keeping track of the trash that they create is more than I have the time or the stomach for.

View Postwseng92, on 09 July 2019 - 12:07 PM, said:

2. Why is the guy on the right Photoshopped in?
Because the girl is - sign and the baby is + sign. So the father should be - sign.

This makes no sense at all to me. Can you explain what the symbols mean to you? Clearly they do not have anything like the usual mathematical meaning.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

You still haven't explained the rationale behind photoshopping the second guy into the photo. I'm assuming it's a reference to genetic inheritance, but it seems an odd way to display a Punnett Square.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 09 July 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

...this meme is lame af and not even funny.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 09 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:13 AM

Here is a meme dump from my phone. Just a small sample of the vast ocean on memes, aka the first 48. https://imgur.com/a/Yb9aQf7
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

I'm sorry if this 'joke' made you guys feel uncomfortable.

I'm not an American. I didn't realize that this image sounds racist to you guys.

Thanks jon.kiparsky for your explanation. I will think twice before posting thing on site next time.

This makes no sense at all to me. Can you explain what the symbols mean to you? Clearly they do not have anything like the usual mathematical meaning.

It let me think of the multiplying integers rule which @modi123_1 commented earlier

Posted Image

And for @BenignDesign, I'm not the one that created the meme. I can't answer your question. Sorry :sweatdrop:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

And please, dont use short form. It's hardly for me or a non-native english speaker to understand.

What is ak ? It mean as f*ck?
What is cite ? What is aka?

Thanks.

This post has been edited by wseng92: 09 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

aka
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/aka

cite
https://www.dictiona...browse/cite?s=t
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

This topic uses a lot of words to parse a lame math "you're not the father meme." I think the only reason there's a black guy is to make a strong contrast between the other guy. This whole thing is lame, and I'm going to go back to looking for videos of guys getting hit in the balls.

I mean, seriously, I laugh 100% of the time I watch this. This is the pinnacle of human comedy, right here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:17 PM

@art - have you seen this new underground show 'Ow, my balls'? A little scripted now, as the first season was pretty fresh, but still holds up.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

I'll check that out after I finish batin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:26 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 July 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +