3 Replies - 237 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

#1 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

I don't want Docker to start on log in

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

I don't understand Docker for Window's feature for starting up when I log on to my machine. I unchecked the checkbox that says "Start Docker Desktop when you log in". But whenever I reboot my machine, there it is: I see the Docker icon on my system tray showing that Docker is starting up. When I check the "Startup" tab of Win10's Task Manager, it shows that Docker is enabled for running at Startup. What am I missing?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I don't want Docker to start on log in

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: I don't want Docker to start on log in

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

Startup applications got several places. Pretty much it can be in startup folder, startup registry key, scheduler or service.
Some infections also may use boot folder, such as drivers, boot file or integrate into a tricky start ups from where usually Windows applications are started up (eg. explorer). But since its a valid application, i will keep it simple.

There are simple startup folder in start menu.
There are also the same thing for current user, default user and sometimes public or guest.
Folder are located in
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

for everyone or for each user
C:\Users\ACCOUNT_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Lots of applications are using registry keys for startup, its divided for current user (for another user you have to load the hive from another user) and for local user (its like for everyone). Run regedit.exe.
Registry keys are
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There are also folder in registry such as RunOnce or similar thats usually used for "installation completed, please reboot to finish the installation". Other similar folders are usually used as delete on boot or so. Not so useful information for some fair application.

It can be in task scheduler. It contains list of tasks with rules when to start something. Aside from time, retries, delay, dependencies on something else, its capable of starting the application on boot, log in, startup, etc., and can contain multiple rules. Applications are usually using it for update check (eg. Flash Player and Java), but some companies decided to use it also for start up their applications for some reason. Run taskschd.msc, and check all tasks on the list, you can edit it, disable it, etc.

And it can be run as a service. Its usually used on servers (like host, FTP, proxies, DNS, etc.), because Windows gives this applications high priority, its in background, it gives longer time for this service applications to shut down, makes it safer, and its less likely to fail, but even if application fail it got rules such as delay startup, restart the service if fail, and it can trigger another application in chase of multiple failures (such as to send you an e-mail), etc. Run services.msc and find the service that you are looking for. Lots of this services are from Windows (such as disk usage, optimization on the fly, network working, printer pool, encryption, etc., application such as DAEMON Tools use it for mounting, burning, encrypting, etc., so its possible that some applications set their services), and you can disable what you are looking for. If you wanna delete it, you have to find it in registry, but usually program then may stop working and asking for reinstall. Services also may depend on user account or folder permissions, but its usually a problem when not even Administrator or System itself has rights to touch it, and usually this user accounts doesnt exists (even while operating system got like 50+ accounts that you cant see, there are some accounts that doesnt exist, but are used to work properly).

But dont forget, if your program have option to remove itself from startup, run it as administrator and disable startup option in the program if it allows, because if you remove its startup by yourself, after program starts next time, it will most likely enable start up option back again if its configured in that program.

And its possible, even if you remove startup, some programs will launch as requirements for something else, like when you open MP3 file, player will be launched, and after MP3 are finished, player will left over, running. Its just example. So you may remove it from startup, but if something (like project) thats powered by that program are on startup, it may be called to launch, so something (like project) can work.

BTW Its also possible thats on nortification start up, go in Settings, System, Nortifications.
Or background applications as Settings, Privacy, Background.

This post has been edited by Radius Nightly: 09 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I know the usual suspects for running at startup, but the real question is why would they have that checkbox in their UI to let the use choose whether to run at startup or not, but not respect the setting?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:56 PM

Maybe it doesnt have valid permissions to edit settings on your command. Or settings are saved on exit, and its probably on shut down or force close, so settings never reached the settings file to be stored. Or simply, bugs. Can be several things. When im changing settings in Transmission, i change it, quit, start, change it, quit, start, and it has been applied, after 2-5 times for some reason. So who knows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1