6 Replies - 1072 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

#1 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Equifax settlement - fill it out.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

Just a reminder for folk to take the two minutes to check if they have been affected by the 09/2017 Equifax breach, and if so to file a claim for $125 (or more if you have documented proof of injury, money lost, etc) from the settlement.

While a base sum of $125 may not sound like much it is a consumer obligation to make certain companies holding our data feel the full accountability of their negligence. Your time, and any services being paid for because of this breach, should be compensated.

Additionally claiming your share helps block the inevitable scammers for hosing the system for their benefit with your information.

https://www.equifaxb...hsettlement.com

Side note - if you can describe time spent handling your credit, following up, etc for up to 10 hours the settlement may pay $25/hour for that explanation. If more financial loss, time spent, etc was racked up you would need to submit documentation but can be up to 20k.

125 for just filling it out.
up to 250 if you provide justification for up to 10 hours.
up to 20k if you have documented loss.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Equifax settlement - fill it out.

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Equifax settlement - fill it out.

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

If you are intending to file, it may be worthwhile to request the credit monitoring rather than the $125 cash payment.

So many Americans have filed for the cash reimbursements that each individual check is likely to be vanishingly small — "nowhere near" the $125 maximum payment that was held out initially, the FTC said.

"The option to obtain reimbursement for alternative credit monitoring, as set forth originally in the class action settlement, was never intended to be a cash payout for all affected consumers," the FTC said in a statement.
Just $31 million has been set aside for reimbursements for alternative credit monitoring, out of a total of $300 million that Equifax agreed to pay in a settlement with the FTC announced last week.

...."The free credit monitoring is worth a lot more than the cash reimbursement alternative. The market value would be hundreds of dollars a year," the agency said in its statement. "And this monitoring service is probably stronger than what consumers may have already, because it monitors their credit report at all three nationwide credit reporting agencies, and it comes with up to $1 million in identity theft insurance and individualized identity restoration services."

https://www.cnn.com/...ange/index.html

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 04 August 2019 - 10:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, that's some hard core bullshit right there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Games, Graphs, and Auctions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:24 PM

Yeah. Quite frankly, even $125 is insufficient for gross negligence resulting in my sensitive information being compromised. I feel like $125 to absolve them of responsibility is letting them off the hook quite easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:12 AM

I think $0.02 was the expected payment since everyone is taking the money.

As a friend pointed out, everything has credit monitoring now, so having them do it just adds another monitoring service that does little for you. My wife and I both did the payout, and I'm now expecting the paper the check is printed on to be more valuable than the face value written on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:11 AM

I already have credit monitoring from ANOTHER settlement (hello, OPM hack).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

After filing for the $125 I locked my credit. I'm actually mad at myself for not getting around to it previously.

https://www.experian...aconline/freeze
https://help.equifax...security-freeze
https://www.transuni...m/credit-freeze (edited)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1