5 Replies - 217 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Domain Question

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:25 PM

So I have a bit of a random question but one that has stumped me for years. Back when Syrian Electronic Army was still making the headlines, they had made a website, but when you went to the website it would display above the page that the domain was still inactive, saying that nobody had purchased the domain name. What I want to understand is how they did that? What I do understand is it would be difficult to recreate, I was mainly just wondering if someone could explain how they did it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Domain Question

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Domain Question

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

Are you sure this wasn't just some fancy smoke and mirrors with the text? Not really familiar with the site you are describing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 28 July 2019 - 09:18 PM, said:

Are you sure this wasn't just some fancy smoke and mirrors with the text? Not really familiar with the site you are describing.

I cant be 100% sure but I am fairly sure. Syrian Electronic Army weren't just some street thugs with a computer, they knew what they were doing so adding a bit of text like that seems unnecessary. The website was sea.sy but it has since been taken down. It is possible that the Syrian Government did it to discredit the SEA but thats the only way I could see it as smoke and mirrors.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:00 AM

Ah.. no.. not some government v. [email protected] conspiracy smoke and mirrors, but just HTML that says one thing but doesn't make it so. As in they put up a faux message indicating the domain was not registered. Probably as some joke, but who knows. I never visited their site so I can only speculate based on what you provided.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

What I want to understand is how they did that?

They didn't. When you type a URL into your browser, your browser gets the domain name and looks it up on whatever DNS the computer is configured to use. DNS will translate the domain name to an IP address. If the domain is not registered, then there will be no DNS entry for it and your computer would not be able to find it.

Besides, why would someone advertise that the domain name they're using is for sale? So that someone else could buy it and take their site offline? Domain name registration is cheap, it's not a prohibitive expense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostArtificialSoldier, on 29 July 2019 - 07:30 AM, said:

What I want to understand is how they did that?

They didn't. When you type a URL into your browser, your browser gets the domain name and looks it up on whatever DNS the computer is configured to use. DNS will translate the domain name to an IP address. If the domain is not registered, then there will be no DNS entry for it and your computer would not be able to find it.

Besides, why would someone advertise that the domain name they're using is for sale? So that someone else could buy it and take their site offline? Domain name registration is cheap, it's not a prohibitive expense.

That does make sense but I could understand if for some reason they couldnt get an actual domain, they were on a lot of most wanted lists but thinking about it, it probably was smoke and mirrors. Not sure why though. Could of been a rival group defacing their website, who knows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1