Should I stay or should I go?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2954 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2019 - 05:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I stay or should I go?

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

So, I have been working as an IT intern for a company this summer. I was tasked with moving paper forms into digital forms in order to rid handing in papers and make things more efficient. I decided to utilize their Office 365 subscriptions and work with PowerApps. Now that I am towards the end of my summer internship, they have offered me the opportunity to work full time and partially pay for my tuition, work part time and attend school full time, or just take a pass on it in general. I am not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice or suggestions.

I will be a sophomore this semester and am majoring in computer science with a focus in software development. My initial gut instinct is that this is a great opportunity to get into the work force - if I wanted to do IT. I am a lot more interested in software development and believe that I would need to focus more on school and really learning from my courses instead of just completing them.

I think it would be nice to earn $12 an hour as a part time intern while doing school, but I'm afraid that I won't have time to study for all of my classes, completing my programming projects on time, work on learning and working with languages outside of class, and do a part time IT job.

Is it worth it? Is it worth risking me replacing part of the time I would use to further extend my knowledge on software development to go into the work force while in school?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I stay or should I go?

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I stay or should I go?

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

Internships are always worth it. Real life experience is way better than the stuff they teach in your courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 29 July 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Internships are always worth it. Real life experience is way better than the stuff they teach in your courses.

Does it matter that I'd be doing IT instead of what I'd like to be doing in the long run (software development)? Or is it just seen as experience in the "tech field"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:14 AM

Hells bells I worked full time (non related field) and went to school full time. I mean that sort of effort can be done.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

I worked part-time for my university as a network/sys-admin for the CIS department for my last junior semester and first senior semester, because we had our own internal domain and managed our own classrooms and labs. I don't explicitly use much of the experience I gained there, but in general the software you write as a dev will end up deployed to an environment managed by IT, so I think that understanding those environments and what it's like to manage them can be extremely valuable.

Are you going to need to work a job during the school year? If so, would $12/hour * the number of hours you'll get as an intern meet those income needs? If both of those are yes, then I think that it would be an excellent opportunity to get your income from something that is directly related to your desired career path. If not, then it really boils down to how much you think you can manage. Income is always nice, especially when it's from something related to where you want to go, so you have to ask yourself if extra study hours are worth $12 a pop, and if you'd really be studying during all of those hours anyway.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 29 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:34 AM

I also worked while in college. If they are willing to help with tuition or just provide a steady income in general, that can be really nice to have some spending money while in school. Now, at $12/hour, you can likely find a better-paying job, even as a sophomore in college. Take a look around and see if any of the engineering school departments are looking for developers (likely they need web developers, full-stack is most useful, but they have been known to look specifically for front-end as well) and if you meet their requirements you will likely find the pay closer to $15/hour.

Now, I also say - don't be afraid of changing companies that you are doing internships for - they are useful if for no other reason than finding out what you _don't_ want to work on for a career. Some of them will also pay significantly more than others, which can be nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

Some of them will also pay significantly more than others, which can be nice.

Some may also have options to more more aligned with what you want to do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

Now that I am towards the end of my summer internship, they have offered me the opportunity to work full time and partially pay for my tuition
Just from them willing to repay your tuition, I would elect to stay with them. But that's assuming what that partially number is. I would factor their partial reimbursement against the larger wage that you would get elsewhere.

The only thing worse than doing what you have to, is deciding you can't do what you enjoy, because it doesn't pay the bills. If given the chance to knock college debt out earlier than later, I'd say go for it. You have your entire adult life ahead of you. Changing from IT to development isn't that much of a stretch from where you are.

Best of luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

generally when a company is willing to pay for your education, there is usually an expected duration of stay after you finish college -- many companies require from 6 months to 1 year of service after school or you will have to pay them back.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Oooh, good point. Totes forgot about that. Maybe part of the hiring agreement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

I was given an estimate salary of about $40-45k. I was not told (yet) of the amount of tuition they'd be willing to cover or the duration of my stay after school is finished.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

The way the world is going right now, I would try my best to come out of school with as little debt as possible. So if you can work full time and they pay part tuition, I would jump on it. You just have to be very focused and make sure you manage your time well. I too went to work as I was in school and came out with almost no debt. Best thing I ever did. It sucks to be in debt, even if they consider student debt "good debt". However, you don't want to start life after school with money hanging over your head. To know you are launching into a career and that any money they pay you is yours and not going to pay off some past debt is liberating.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:53 PM

Stop bragging >=[
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

Thank you all for the responses and advice. I might be making a bigger deal than it actually is, but I feel like this is a really big decision. Either way can possibly lead me 2 different paths, and no one around me (even family) has offered any advice no matter how many times I mention my dilemma.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

Here is another tip, and a bit harsh I will say, but don't look to your family to help you decide your future. YOU decide your future. If I had followed what my parents wanted, I would have dropped out of school and working at a burger joint. And I am not kidding. My mother told me to quit school even though I was working, going to school and had fantastic grades.

P.S. She straight up told me that Trump is awesome and Fox News doesn't lie about anything. Imagine if I had followed advice from her!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +