11 Replies - 3407 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

what percent of day do you research vs coding

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

so i had a conversation with my boss today he and bitched that he shouldnt have to pay for us to research items.

i told him that programmers run from a 60/40 to a 80/20 research to coding and he was got mad and that is when he said he shouldnt have to pay for us to do research...

what do you think the best percentage is and have you ever faced that type of complaining?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what percent of day do you research vs coding

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what percent of day do you research vs coding

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

I'd say, start looking for another position. I don't know what my metrics are, I don't care honestly, and having to show what I do hour to hour means it isn't an environment I would want to be in.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

It depends if you mean by research, searching, trying and exploring or... taking full tutorials and extensive reading.

The first is an integral part of the job but even the second can be acceptable for a new area of work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

Tell him to code it himself without using google. See how far he gets before having to "research" something. Chances are, he's gonna get stuck and be dead in the water. Tell him to get bent, honestly.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 07 August 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

It depends if you mean by research, searching, trying and exploring or... taking full tutorials and extensive reading.

The first is an integral part of the job but even the second can be acceptable for a new area of work.

for instance a drop downlist that post back every time to create more drop down lists -- i had to research on how to persist the info gathered in each drop down since on post back you lose controls... he thought i should know that automatically
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

I suppose you also need to compare yourself to what your colleagues are doing, or seem to be doing. Are you standing out for some reason, or is it perhaps more personal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Research, as in determining the best path to take and how best to walk it, seems to me like an up front cost. It starts out at 100/0. But as you gather information, the pendulum should swing the other way, nearing 0/100 as you work for solve problem you now fully appreciate. Of course, this is within a single problem domain. As new problems arise, the process will start over.

It really depends on how dynamic the work is. A brand new project could reasonably be more research time than code time. However, if it's an iteration of something you've done a hundred times before, then you'd expect "research" to be low.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

View Postandrewsw, on 07 August 2019 - 01:56 PM, said:

I suppose you also need to compare yourself to what your colleagues are doing, or seem to be doing. Are you standing out for some reason, or is it perhaps more personal?

well this company uses 2.0 net which i have been trying to get to 4.6 and they fight me every way and then complain when their stuff doesnt work on windows server 2016. there are only 2 coders and i am one and the other doesnt know modern stuff so there's that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

If you're only working on things you already know how to do, it's time to move on.

I mean, for simple front-end changes you can usually just go in and make changes, but for non-trivial tickets you usually have to spend a little while figuring out what your best approach is, whether there's an existing solution that you can use, what code paths might be affected by the change, etc. When we had some junior devs on the team, we actually set an expectation that people would start any work by writing up a "road map" for the work, a sort of plan of attack, and talk it through with someone else on the team before starting in. The idea there was that the juniors would have a chance to get their plan reviewed before they went down a wrong path, and the more senior folks would be able to share their thought processes to help the juniors see how they would think about a problem. It worked pretty well, and occasionally uncovered a some important stuff that someone hadn't thought about.

So there, we sort of built a research component into the tickets.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:37 PM

@the-boss-dude
Just because you learnt how to drive, doesn't immediately grant you the knowledge to drive to any destination without using a sat-nav (or a map if you're old school) or observing any directional road-signs.

Sure, your daily commute or the local shops don't need those things.

But try an uninformed drive from NY to LA, and you're looking at years of aimless wandering, more likely to find yourself back at NY before finally stumbling into LA by pure dumb luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

I spend probably a static 5% of my time keeping up with stuff. Additionally, for a given project, my ratio of research:implementation is probably something like 3 days of research, design, etc to 1 day of implementation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

Or better yet, take away Intellisense and all online documentation access. Also disable all "--help" command line parameters. Let's see how far @the-boss-dude gets in a day.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1