4 Replies - 1276 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

had to take a test in interview

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

So recently i had to take an online coding test for a job..
the questions were poorly worded and were given 2 hours to complete 2 sets of codes, 3 paragraphs of writing, and 9 multiple guess questions.

i double checked my multiple guess questions with google --- and yet only got 4 right?
the coding questions were as follows:
had to make array of days of week and then pick what day it would be if a number entered was higher than those of the array..
example they gave was if wed was selected and someone put in 2 -- it should spit out friday -- if 23 it should be a monday
sounds easy right? until their preformed function call wouldnt allow you to use the function variables -- example string[] function(string n, int i)
the program wouldnt allow you to use the n or i

2nd problem
print out the x numbers in the fibonace (sp) sequence

so if function(int i) was 10 it would print out the 1st 10 digits..
that part was fine but then they wanted it into an array and wanted it to display the entire array -- in a command line

once again the int i was not available for use

so my question is how do they expect people to pass these types if tests if the function doesnt allow you to use the input?

when i tried using the input it gave "the variable is not known" error

well having taken that test i have come to the conclusion that a im really rusty on c# and these types of questions
and B) would i want ot work somewhere that uses a vendor to give tests that dont even work?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: had to take a test in interview

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: had to take a test in interview

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:21 AM

Honestly I have a real problem with any company that gives up front tests like this. They should be able to gauge your skills by talking with you, perhaps review some code with you and discuss it and talk about something you have written and why you wrote it that way. Tests like that do nothing but put unneeded pressure on everyone, doesn't really prove if you can solve new problems and how you reasoned out the answer. I have straight up turned down interviews when they presented me a whiteboard test or something. It shows me that they don't really know what I do or how things should be.

Between this and your previous question, sounds like you are looking at the wrong companies. I recommend you look at companies you want to work for, maybe where you know someone already there, and look at applying there. Perhaps be willing to relocate if need be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:32 AM

i had one a few weeks ago where the guy gave me a php test --- before i even tried the test i told him i dont know php and i thought the test wasnt fair -- he explained every line of the test and i got all the answers right to then he started to interrogate me on how i figured out the questions-- so i told that i thought it was time to end the interview of which he seemed to get agitated..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

I try not to dwell on it.

Can I learn from it? Is there anything obvious I messed up? Is there something useful I can take from the experience?

Move on. Forget it. Good developers will find work without arbitrary barriers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

I once took an interview with a company where when I showed up at this large 25+ story building. I walked in, took the elevator up and entered a open floor plan where there was no furniture, 5 devs with desks in one corner of at least a 10k+ sq foot place and a single manager over on the other side of the floor in a corner. Nothing else. I was like HELL NO and got out of there.

I went to another interview for a print shop doing software for printing processes. They proceeded to play this good cop bad cop routine where the bad cop sucked and was spitting garbage like "Everything in a database should be a lookup table" and when I proceeded to tell him that if he did that, he could expect some pretty nasty queries to write. He disagreed. Then when I asked him to show me a query he had, it was a nightmare. So many joins it was insane. I high tailed it out of there too.

Just as there are bad interviewees, there are bad interviewers. So as andrew has said, learn what you can from the experience and just don't repeat the mistakes. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1