6 Replies - 484 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2019 - 12:06 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

so who here uses mvc

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

I am going to have a large project coming up and i was thinking of doing it in mvc--

the main problem i see is that ive never used mvc

what are the challenges that mvc present and does it matter if it is vb or c#?
is there a large learning curve?
anyone willing to give advice?

I have looked up tutorials but it seems that they are all basically the same with little information other than a hello world type of program..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: so who here uses mvc

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: so who here uses mvc

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

Jumped MVC right to Razor pages.

MVC or Razor - you aught to be on board with C#.
Learning curve - yes, for me there was.
Snag a book on it. Between the whole 'setting up a project from the get go' to routing to 'magic words' and mentally adapting to how things are transferred around it's not a bog you want to slog alone, in.

As it is I have a handful of Razor tutorials here in the ASP.NET section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:45 AM

so then not good for a project with a deadline if i dont know how to use it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

Welllllll.. it depends. I mean I stumbled through Razor with a project that had a shifting deadline (and requirements) so I used that as smoke screen to get my learning on, but it certainly wasn't ideal and there were pain points.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

If you have a tight deadline, in general, it is never a good idea to learn a brand new technology / language because you run the risk of hitting a few stumbling blocks that delay you and cause you to miss your deadline.

However, if your deadline is flexible and you have ample time, then I say go for it and learn what you can. I would also make the step of letting your project sponsors know that you will be learning something new and sew it into their minds that you won't be an expert from the start. Often times if you let them know up front they won't mind. Worst case I experience is that they get someone to help you. Rarely do they yank you off the project completely.

If they are a good company they will want to encourage you to learn along the way as long as things are delivered on time and budget. :)

Pros for MVC...

1) Separation of concerns allowing multiple people to work on different parts without having to know everything about the project's internals
2) Well supported pattern that has a lot of experts that can help you out there
3) Easy to expand on with new models as they are encountered
4) As a pattern it really doesn't matter which language you use... I have seen MVC in both VB.NET and C#. But as said, C# is usually the way to go.

Cons for MVC...

1) Not ideal for small projects simply because there is a lot of scaffolding/setup that usually is needed to get the project into a usable state
2) Not all problems lend themselves to MVC. It is a pattern and not all problems fit all patterns. I largely hate how Microsoft has implemented MVC and Razor
3) Microsoft's MVC can also feel heavy handed at times. Sometimes requiring twice as many lines to accomplish something that is done in other languages.

The main issue to hammer out is that MVC, the architecture, fits well with your project's problem domain and ideas.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

well the reason i thought about using it is because i am to make an accident site to track a shit ton of info including documents, images, and videos
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

I guess another thing to consider is just making sure you build in the learning process to any project estimates you give. Something you may have quoted 3 days to do, since you are learning MVC, quote 5 days. Build in a buffer of sorts.

Sounds like your project will be big so MVC may be a good choice. I am not trying to influence you one way or the other. Only you can really decide if it is worth the risk and if indeed it will work with the goals you are being asked to achieve. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1