8 Replies - 737 Views - Last Post: 16 August 2019 - 04:18 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

CAD Tools/ Framework?

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Hi, I just joined. I taught myself VBA (please don't laugh), & I know a little html, css. I learned a lot with vba as I got into arrays, dictionaries & have got the basics of a dynamic object oriented language (I know it's not truly object-oriented but we won't get into that right now). I have a little knowledge, but I've no formal qualifications; & you're certainly not talking with a massively intelligent person here, but someone with lots of enthusiasm.

A lot of CAD applications have a similar tool-set, for snapping, and drawing lines etc... Kind of a kernel - I know a it's not a kernel but I'm just trying to illustrate the point.
I'm seeing a pattern with a few of these CAD programmes with a very, very similar layout/ tools. It seems that there is a common framework of cad snapping tools etc... Could anyone advise:

1 - What the formal name for this is?;

2 - A recommendation of the types of these for an application written in C?;

I don't know a lot about C, I've only touched on the basics of it but realistically if these frameworks are available then I imagine it's a matter of assigning procedures one has written to buttons.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: CAD Tools/ Framework?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: CAD Tools/ Framework?

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

I would start with the Autocad developer tools. Most likely some common functionality in there.

https://www.autodesk...ologies/autocad
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Thanks modi, would the development tools be more for creating plugins for AutoCad?

As some of the apps I've seen are so, so similar it seems there may be a common framework, available for purchase, or maybe even open-source (probably dreaming here I know).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

Did I misread that? I thought this was about autocad plugins?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

A little, I'm after the actual geometry kernel behind it. Not Autocad's as I don't imagine they sell it & it's the heart of the application I'd imagine.

I thought I'd ask the question here in case anyone was familiar with a good value or open-source geometry kernel (I think that's the technical term for it), because I've seen what seems to be the same one in a couple of apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:54 AM

Like a geometry library? Kernels are for operating systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

"Geometry Library" sounds like it could be it, mind you it seems a bit similar.

I think it's more than a library, as the app tools look identical. I was hoping there might be a pre-packaged open-source basic framework available. I think framework would be the right term here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

Slightly off topic:

I feel old... I remember back when I was in high school in the early 80's, one of the engineers who worked for my dad was showing me the early version of AutoCAD on an IBM PC with a green screen, I had a short term fascination with CADs. (I think my dad was secretly hoping that I would go into mechanical or chemical engineering.) Back then all the literature I came across regarding CADs used the term "kernel" to refer to geometry processing and rendering engine of a CAD program.

Back on topic:
Did you check out BRL-CAD?

Also check out the bottom of that Wikipedia "kernel" link. At the bottom of the page are several links to other Wikipedia pages of open source CADs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:18 AM

Hi Skydiver, thanks for the link, much appreciated, that's much more the sort of thing I'm after. Yeah it's a "geometry kernel" I'm after here I think.

I'm fascinated by this & have been for some time now so I share your thoughts. A lot of them tend to be 3D modelling, BREP etc.. but that link you've kindly provided is an excellent resource & I'm looking forward to learning about this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1