3 Replies - 1175 Views - Last Post: 17 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Audio and Music Programming: Where to start?

Posted 21 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

Hello! [first post]
First, I should give my background. Four years ago I began teaching myself music. I knew nothing; I had to learn what a note was. Now, four years later I am entering electronic music competitions on sites like Metapop. My stages of learning went from [1] compose traditional scores in software called Finale, [2] I learnt about DAWS and imported my Finale scores, [3] I learnt about VSTs and made music inside the DAW, [4] using Kontakt as a sampler. I have worked myself to the ground, often working until 3 am. I have produced enormous amounts of music, some published and some not.

Now, I am considering stopping making music. My reasons are complex. It's not a thing about rejection or money. It's more about the big picture. I still use Windows 7. I hate Windows 10. When I say hate I mean total hate that corrodes concrete. I would use Windows 10 Enterprise. But I am a peasant who will learn to love Candy Crush. So I am not worthy of Windows 10 Enterprise; in this lifetime I am only fit to use Windows 10 Amateur. It is my soul's destiny to also buy Windows Notepad for 5 bucks a month.

So with Windows 7 coming to a close I seek alternatives. Apple is a joke. That leaves Windows 8.1 and Linux. Yes, I know that 8.1 is terrible. But like I said I hate 10 and I mean it. But the big picture is that Windows 8.1 will come and go. In the long run my only future is in Linux. Even though that would severely limit my ability to make music. Yes there is Bitwig or Reaper [experimental] or Renoise. Yes, there are great youtube channels like Unfa that cover Linux music. But my music skillset, working in the DAW only with no hardware, would be the hardest skillset to take to Linux for music.

But what do I make of my four years of making music? I don't want to waste it. I spent a lot of time on it. It wasn't easy. So could I go into musical computer pro0gramming on Linux? Even if I don't make a note again it would continue the broad theme of music. Last year I went to a synthesiser conference and learnt about the history of synth programming like DSP. I have also found hundreds of music languages such as C Sound. I have never done computer programming. Well, I have played with Codeblocks and have some C++ books. But I have never seriously tried to learn. I am experienced in using Linux; I began playing with it 10 years ago. I am fine for making stuff in Linux. Again, I hate Windows 10; its Windows store is another long end of the leash that I wouldn't want to make anything for.

C++? DSP? C Sound? Something else? If I can't work out where to start I will probably open my C++ beginners books and open Codeblocks. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Audio and Music Programming: Where to start?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Audio and Music Programming: Where to start?

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

But what do I make of my four years of making music? I don't want to waste it. I spent a lot of time on it. It wasn't easy.

I would say build a bridge and get over your weird "hate" of windows 10. Seems relatively straight forward.

I hate Windows 10. When I say hate I mean total hate that corrodes concrete.

This makes little sense or is not supported.

I would use Windows 10 Enterprise.

Especially given that you would use windows 10 in some cases.

So I am not worthy of Windows 10 Enterprise; in this lifetime I am only fit to use Windows 10 Amateur. It is my soul's destiny to also buy Windows Notepad for 5 bucks a month.

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

So could I go into musical computer pro0gramming on Linux?

This seems like a weird pivot. I would figure if you liked making music then you would make music and get over your mental hurdle for the platform. Especially having no programming background.

Then again this all sounds like electronic DJ bits so I guess there's that.

So sure.. go gin up a synth program. I would start by writing down all the bits, parts, moving actions, user interactions, screen layouts, buttons, etc you want in it.

Order that list a bit, and figure out what options are most needed to have a 'minimally viable user product' and what are gold plating.

With that map in hand go search out available GUI tools for various languages that are relevant on linux. See if you need to buy something, make something, or find it better elsewhere.

Then off you go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:25 AM

You don't *have* to use windows, you can use a real operating system like Linux or Unix, and make music for grownups with any of the open source packages out there <like musescore and ardour and audacity> as both viable tools to make things and as starting points for learning about programmatic handling of musical data and theory, from these open source examples.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:10 AM

you can use a real operating system like Linux or Unix,

Spoiler

Ease up with the OS flame war baiting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1