Creating a video game using windows.h windows api

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 1572 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2020 - 07:48 AM Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

#16 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating a video game using windows.h windows api

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

Any particular reason you are not starting with a game engine like Unity or Unreal?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

Yes, you should create a new thread since in this case you are looking at a completely different framework to use for your game. As an aside, there is a "Game Development" subforum here where your questions maybe more appropriate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

I was so focused that I did not take the option of game engines. I think unreal engine look promising.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 03:26 AM

My inspiration (BC kings) how many triangles may be there? Can't we reduce triangles by transparent textures? Is the number of triangles is below 1000 or something in the particular scene? I cannot imagine of games from which you look from up. In the game the view is locked you can just zoom a bit in or out in the same angle. GPU is really needed for such games? In the game the terrain height may be different in different cases. I want to create a similar (my own ideas) game and in that you can program the controls , like someone can make his own AI there and fight between AIs (I will use DLLs). My friends can use the coding skills there. We distribute the server rent money (that won't be much if I take VPS) but the project is too big and it will take time as I am new to game dev.

This post has been edited by Thunderer: 29 January 2020 - 03:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

how many triangles may be there?

The number of triangles a GPU is capable of handling will obviously vary depending on the hardware. Also, the quoted numbers (e.g. 500 million) are often best-case scenario (e.g. in scenes with no effects, no/minimal state switches, etc).

You can go online to find the triangle counts of various games that have been released. A typical character in a PS2 game may have been 2000 triangles; a character in a PS3 game may have been 30-100 thousand, etc. That should give you some idea.

In any case, triangles are the least of your worries; in both 3D and 2D games, batch counts (AKA primitive patches, state switches, whatever you want to call it) will be the thorn in your side. For (an extremely simplified) example, it might be much easier for your graphics card to draw 1000 blue triangles than to draw 100 red, 100 green and 100 blue triangles (for a total of 300). Texture management is another thing (and also ties into batch counts).

The best thing you can do is make your game with some vague idea of your limits in terms of triangles, batches, texture size, etc. and use profiling tools to figure out whether you need to make models less complex, compress textures, etc.

Can't we reduce triangles by transparent textures?

In 3D, aye; this technique is used often (where appropriate). Keep in mind that transparency can be expensive in its own way - especially depending on the transparency mode - and may add problems like having to sort* objects/polygons in the scene so that they're rendered in the right order, etc.

* A mature game engine would/should be able to do this (or at least most of it) for you.

Is the number of triangles is below 1000 or something in the particular scene?

Don't hold me to this, but I'd guess each individual tree in that scene is about 100-200 triangles. In any case, that level of graphics should be easily achievable on any hardware from the last... 10 years? :P

GPU is really needed for such games?

Again, not needed, but probably the better choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:31 AM

Personally recommend me should I use some engine, use directx or create a cpu renderer.
My experience-
I am a student. I am coding for 2-3 years in c. The biggest project I made is a chess engine which can go to depth 9 without transposition table and can mostly defeat me (with bugs) I have a elo of 1400 in chess.com (good heuristic some copied).
My aims-
A multiplayer game like that one with programmable AI. I don't like to sit with something with no solution because of learning curve and lack of tutorials and I like to be creative and use my intelligence. Download size is a problem but I can manage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:34 AM

Yes, use an existing engine.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

Another suggestion, which engine? Unity or unreal or something? I know nothing about game dev.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

I am partial to unity, but unreal works fine as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

So it is my taste unity or unreal.... Anyways thanks :) But until the time my father is giving me money (and friends) can use cubes or something for making rest logic expect models. For knowledge sake, how much the artists will take to make models (or should I myself learn making models?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:28 AM

There is very little of that I understood. Tastes? Cubes? Artists?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:36 AM

Like for making that dino rider in brown color, I can use cubes before I get models for testing purposes (The game will have cubes instead of characters). Then import model? For animating I have to keep showing different( disllaying)models isn't it (like you do in flash)?(I not know much)

Taste means I can select the engine which I feel is good (it is opinion based)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

Sure.. it's your project so you find the tools that you prefer.

Yes, stand ins help if your priority lists, and iterations, don't require having the actual models or objects present.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +