6 Replies - 115 Views - Last Post: 12 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to this world!

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

Hi, everyone! My name is Sarah, I don't really know a lot about coding yet, I am self-teaching as the colleges local to me are not running any courses *sigh* because they haven't received enough interest, this was apparently a common problem, I hope more people learn to love computers, programming and all things associated with that, it's hard work but so much fun!
Anyway, my lonely adventures through the world of coding have led me here, I'm hoping this will be a helpful resource for when I inevitably come up with a billion questions and problems!
I'm currently working through an online C++ course and odd bits of python and general languages, I feel like I have some basics down however since I am doing this alone I could be wrong and missing out a million basic things I should know, if anyone has any insight on the fundamentals and "must-knows" please feel free to share with me so I can look deeper into them and add them to my ever growing pile of research.
Thanks for reading and getting to know my journey a little, it's very short so far however I hope to be learning as much as I can as quick as I can, I'm excited to be getting on with this! I also can't wait to meet all of you, with like minded excitedness about coding and computers!
(also apologies if it made no sense, shy in person shy online haha..... :helpsmilie:/> )

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to this world!

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to this world!

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

Welcome aboard!

If you don't have classes I would highly recommend picking up a book on the language you are investigating. Typically the best for near complete coverage on topics and basics.

What sort of projects are you looking to do, or are doing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

Another great resource is our C/C++ tutorials section. We have a lot of tutorials in there, and while some of them may be slightly out of date, the concepts discussed in them should still be relevant.

When I started the programming journey, I went the route of finding online tutorials and following them. The trick there is to manually type all the code blocks in the tutorial and ensure you understand what is going on instead of just blindly following what is being presented to you as fact. That way you eventually get the ideas and concepts behind the tutorial and understand how those map to code in the language. Once you have that, you can start writing your own programs without feeling as lost; and eventually you will be able to come up with solutions to complex problems as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code ThisGoodPending! I too came from an area where there was almost no technology classes let alone programming related classes. The way I did it was through books as modi had suggested. Books offer you a little more than what you can find online and while I am all for online tutorials and videos, books should also be used in conjunction with those other mediums. Books are usually good at giving you a ton of details (which most online tutorials fail to do) and present concepts in a more concrete format (like tables and such) that most online videos won't provide... or at least they gloss over them and you have to bookmark that place in the video to review it in more detail when you forget.

I also suggest that newcomers to programming also join an active online coding community for getting answers to things you are reading/watching but might fall through the cracks of your understanding. Since you are here, you have this requirement completed. CHECK!

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

Thank you for you welcome messages, I have ordered a book to start me off, as well as continuing to follow some free online lessons/guides. I still feel a little out of the water right now, I can't imagine writing my own code from scratch right now, which I understand isn't something easily accomplished so never expected to understand it right away, but I am hoping to get to grips with it soon, I have managed to gain a little knowledge on the basic/most used features of the C++ language and a little of the Python language, the book I have ordered is specifically on C++ as there is a local company I hope to one day work with to gain real life knowledge and they prefer to work with C++ or C#
I am supposed to use cyber dojo to complete tasks for them which will enable them to see my ability to write, however I still need to learn more about the website and how the test frame works within it, as I am struggling to write my own tests and then verify them with my code, I understand what I need to do in order to complete the project but not how to actually work it haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

View PostThisGoodPending, on 06 September 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

I still feel a little out of the water right now, I can't imagine writing my own code from scratch...

Open your tool of choice, put in...

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() 
{
    cout << "Hello, World!";
    return 0;
}

Click build/run. You just created your first program from scratch. Now, can you change the message? Can you add another message? What does main() mean and why do you have it?

We all started here. Start small, tinker your way to the top of understanding. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

So I downloaded visual studio? to play around with, and so far... everything is getting me lost and confused, but i'll figure it out in the end haha, I've also applied for an apprenticeship course thats come up recently, maybe the college will let me in this time? Who knows, I'm going to explore this forum a bit more aswell.
I tested out putting the code above into visual studio, it went well, until I tried to change something, somehow broke everything and have no idea how or why (I only changed the writing) but it was late and I was tired so I'll give it another shot soon haha!
Thank you for your help!! I appreciate how nice people are on here. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1