10 Replies - 796 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can the Software Development LifeCycle be improved?

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

Hello everyone, I am interning at a company and I've been asked to do some research for a project to see if there is a need for a solution for the concept of combining IT and facility infrastructure data with the software development lifecycle to optimize applications not just usual performance, usability, and stability metrics but also around impact on IT infrastructure (network, CPU, disk, RAM, etc.) and facility infrastructure (space, power, cooling). So far, I have been unable to find any cases where the software development lifecycle could be improved by a solution of this sort. Does anyone see how the SLDC could be improved with this kind of solution?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can the Software Development LifeCycle be improved?

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can the Software Development LifeCycle be improved?

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Are you interested in "the software development lifecycle" generally, or are you interested in improving the way your company develops software?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Why would those areas be permanently meshed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 September 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

Are you interested in "the software development lifecycle" generally, or are you interested in improving the way your company develops software?

Some more relevant info: we are a consulting company, and looking to see if there is a solution we can develop for other companies to improve the process, so yes, we are looking to improve the software development lifecycle generally.

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 September 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

Why would those areas be permanently meshed?

Well, that's kind of the issue that I'm trying to figure out, if there is a some case where it would be beneficial to that. I just haven't seen any case where that's a relevant issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:08 AM

To be clear, you are fishing for ideas to sell that involve wedging facilities information (space,power,cooling) and infrastructure data (networking, water, RAM, etc) into the core of software development?

Those are typically fiated in planning or barest of high level hand waving.. rarely would it be needed in determining exception handling or how many inner for loops are too many for loops.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 September 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

To be clear, you are fishing for ideas to sell that involve wedging facilities information (space,power,cooling) and infrastructure data (networking, water, RAM, etc) into the core of software development?

Those are typically fiated in planning or barest of high level hand waving.. rarely would it be needed in determining exception handling or how many inner for loops are too many for loops.

Not necessarily wedging that information into the core of software development, but more as a monitoring, analysis and alarming tool to be utilized during the process. I agree that typically would be handled separately from this process, which is why I'm asking here, is to confirm that there is no case where this would be a solution to a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

So factoring in light usage for late night scrum meetings and lavatory water output from the tenth slice of sub par pizza the boss is shoveling in the door to "make up for this one off event".. which he said twelve times before?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 September 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

So factoring in light usage for late night scrum meetings and lavatory water output from the tenth slice of sub par pizza the boss is shoveling in the door to "make up for this one off event".. which he said twelve times before?

I would really hope that wouldn't be the case lol, it's a little more tightly scoped at monitoring the data center power consumption, cooling, etc. with regards to development, so for example finding the power consumption it takes to run an application throughout that development process. I just don't really see it as being a relevant part of the software development lifecycle, I see it more as a data center administrator monitoring tool, where managers want to find statistics about an application, in which case there are already plenty of solutions available for this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

What's the new buzzword for this Frankenstein? InfraDevSecOpsFac?

Anyway, I can see something like the above for closed systems with limited resources: a satellite, an airliner, cruise ship, underwater lab, or spaceship, or space colony. Basically you have an energy budget that you have to live with. You need to deal with possible intrusions. You need to deal with emergencies related to the hardware/environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Salem_c   User is online

• void main'ers are DOOMED
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

> and facility infrastructure (space, power, cooling)
If your "infrastructure" is a mobile phone, then these are all issues.

No one wants to buy a 1Kg brick that runs at 60C+ and drains the battery in 10 minutes.

... with the software development lifecycle to optimize applications not just usual performance, usability, and stability metrics but also around impact on IT infrastructure (network, CPU, disk, RAM, etc.) and facility infrastructure (space, power, cooling).

To me, these are all just requirements. If power became important enough to care about, it would feature on the requirements list and people would find ways to measure and monitor it.

This would no more change the lifecycle than saying "don't use more than 1GB of RAM, and don't use more than 2 seconds of CPU time".

Power is pretty well correlated to CPU time (and indirectly elapsed time). If "silly intern" decides to re-invent bubble sort to sort 1Bn records, then people soon notice that the times have been blown out of the water. That it would also have used xKWh of power doing it is somewhat incidental.

Grid power is very cheap compared to people's time. You can buy a lot of KWh for just one hour of a software engineer's time, just to save a few milliseconds (and hence a few microwatts) on some computation.

It's only in certain use cases (mobile phones, satellites) where the available power (battery, charging) is limited, but the required availability is extensive, that the previous calculation gives a positive return on investment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:53 AM

View Postdpaulson11, on 19 September 2019 - 09:59 AM, said:

Some more relevant info: we are a consulting company, and looking to see if there is a solution we can develop for other companies to improve the process, so yes, we are looking to improve the software development lifecycle generally.

Well, if you want to start a new cult, that's your business, but I would expect you to at least come up with the groundwork on your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1