3 Replies - 320 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Too Stupid to Code

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:31 AM

Look... I'm after a brutally honest view on if people think that coding is for a certain level of education.. Perhaps a problem solving mind or something with a higher level of knowledge to grasp the concepts presented in coding and everything that goes along with it.

I'm 34 and consider my education to be poor from when I grew up.. from getting F's and even ungraded from school its not something that has held me back career wise but I'm at a point now that I would like to be more remote and coding seems to be one of the best options, but is it wasteful for me to chase something that might be a little out of my depth or can literally ANY person learn to code properly regardless of there education or understanding.

Sorry for the random question but I thought who better to ask than people who already code

Thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Too Stupid to Code

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Too Stupid to Code

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

I mean.. in theory anyone can do it, but frame of reference, willingness, and lack of abstract thinking sometimes gets in the way.

The best part is you can test this option out pretty well. Land on a language and pick up a book from the ol' amazons. Once in hand, work through it all. If it trips your trigger than coolio you may be on to something. If not, then at worst you are maybe out 34-40 bones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:33 AM

I'm a 9th grade dropout and earn a very high salary. So edumacation from skool means little. Understanding is a different topic entirely. Yes you need to understand things, and yes you need to be logical and deliberate.

No, I don't believe everyone can code, but I also don't believe that everyone can pour concrete, or make a table, boil water.

Remote work can be obtained, but you need to have solid understanding of what you are doing, and some time with a language before that is even possible. Usually, remote is not what you get first. The person I know that started remote also had already grabbed some industry certifications before he started looking.

Don't know where you are or if you have zero programming background now, but healthcare does quite a bit remote work currently that isn't programming related. HCA comes to the top of my mind for a wide variety of their job postings.

Bottom line, you are looking at at least a year of dedicated learning to know a language enough to be hirable, typically. Not only that, but if the goal is just remote work, this may not be the path you want o take to begin with anyway: you will suffer through things and have to actually want o do this for a living to make it remotely enjoyable. Otherwise, just like any other position, you will be absolutely miserable. I come home exhausted and mentally drained, but if you enjoy it, it's easier to do this. If you hate it, it will be like any other crappy job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

I'm having trouble finding the article, but in the late 90's & early 2000's a drifter was hacking into CNN & other websites, using nothing but the browser, urls, & simple non-code related exploits by visiting free internet facilities. You're either good with tech or you are not.

The one narc from Anonymous was a poor kid from NYC that hacked just to get free internet.

How I taught a homeless man to build an app in a week: Software developer takes on vagrant and helps him develop his own business

Income & education don't define you, unless you let it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1