9 Replies - 464 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating the world!

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:49 AM

Hi folks

I'm looking to develop a detailed mapping globe from scratch and have hit a complete dead end. We have been in touch with several mapping companies around the world but no one really has this in the pipeline.

Can anyone help? Whether it's to work on the project with us, or point us in the right direction.

Seriously, we are already over budget and past deadlines so any help would be amazing!

Thanks
Andrew

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 02 October 2019 - 06:06 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating the world!

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating the world!

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:21 AM

Can anyone help?

Please be more specific.

Whether it's to work on the project with us,

Is this a for pay thing or are you looking to hire people on for your company?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:55 AM

We had been working with one of the largest mapping compaines in the world on this but they can't start the project before the final deadline. So we are now entertaining all other options, whether it's paid work, a team of developers, a mapping firm that can swallow most of the cost...anything.

We have already built a website that the globe would be the focal element of. The globe will need to be capable of holding mapping tiles. Think Googe Earth but targetting backpackers and students aimed specifically at travelling.

This must be self hosted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

Okay.. when is this deadline?
When you say 'detailed' what does that mean? 3d rendering? Just overlaid aerial maps? Something else?
Why from scratch? Seems there are plenty of things that show up when searching 'javascript globe'.

Seriously, we are already over budget and past deadlines

a mapping firm that can swallow most of the cost...anything.
Well that's a little... concerning.

Moving this from javascript to post-a-job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly.

We're not initially posting for a job. This is a roadblock we've hit and need help with.

Building it from scratch isn't a necessity and also not prefered, but no one has been able to work with us on what we specifically need, and none of them can do self hosted.

Obviously there are several elements of the project I can't discuss on here so I'm restricted in what I can post
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

Certainly I get it.. why buy the milk when you can get the cow for free, am I right? Unfortunately that, and any hidden parts with NDAs, runs contrary to the generational educational aspect of the site.

If you had specific questions, attempts, errors, etc folk could chime in on.. that's cool.

If you want someone to do it all for free due to mismanaged time tables and budgets with giant other companies that's a different story, and ultimately why this was pushed into 'post a job'. You want to hire someone but not hire them. :^:

As it is, good luck with your project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Hello

OK now I'm just confused. I'm not posting for a job, I'm not posting to get something for free. I'm posting for help with something I'm completely stuck on. I need advice and I need help. I have been specific and have disclosed as much as I can.

So again, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR FREE LABOUR, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A FREE RIDE. I POSTED IN THIS FORUM SO THAT MAYBE SOMEONE CAN EITHER POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, OR MAYBE EVEN SOMEONE CAN OTHER THEIR SERVICES!

Maybe I'm on the wrong forum, and maybe you're the wrong person. In future word your messages better to avoid inadvertently offending someone.

Please either have someone else respond, or remove me from this forum!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:31 AM

I'm posting for help with something I'm completely stuck on. I need advice and I need help.

Then by all means ask a question. Folk cannot help you if you do not articulate what you need help with.

In future word your messages better to avoid inadvertently offending someone.

Personal side note - I cannot change how you view things so I will not neuter my explanation of how your posts read because there may be a chance of 'offense' with no impact. ;)

As it is, I've started to repeat myself so I am out. Good luck to you and your team, Andrew.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

You need a GIS developer. But you also are focusing to broadly at the moment and it's one possibility why the project is currently failing. Start in a specific location and then build out from there. Right now you want Google level, but are still working out of your garage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

@astonecipher no that's not the case at all. Again, I can only disclose a certain amount about this project, but we have been working on this phase for 11 months, and the rest of it has been in steady progress for 12 years. So we are neither aiming for Google, nor working out of a garage. We are a medium team working out of a facility in the UK. It just happens that this phase is the most problematic.

We are firmly focused on one country at the moment and are populating as we go. We are already working hard with groups in that country to get the first phase done so we can broaden this out. Unfortunately we've hit a dead end at ever turn.

GIS is probably a good start, but are now working on a timeline of 8 months until launch so experience counts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1