11 Replies - 637 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2019 - 06:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What are stress causers in proffesional programing?

Posted 02 November 2019 - 04:31 AM

Hey guys I am just wondering from your expirience what pushes your buttons and what are 2 biggest issues programers deal with in terms of strees and managing to keep mental balance in profession of programing and coding?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What are stress causers in proffesional programing?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What are stress causers in proffesional programing?

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

POPULAR

Dealing with non programmers. Not because they don't know how to code and such, but often times they don't know what they want until they see it.

Or they change their mind.
Or they think you work magic and can make anything.
Or they give you unreasonable timelines because they promised a customer something they shouldn't have.
Or they expect you to do something but never told you to do it.
Or they ask you to fix their computer because they know you do something with computers. (you become tech support)
Or they ask you to do pretty unethical things like spying on customers or go against a rule you know is wrong when handling info.
Or they make a decision about a piece of software without knowing if there was documentation, an API, would work with their system or was even worth the money. Then expect you to integrate it some how because they already spent a ton of money on it.

Plus I am sure people can add more to this. But yeah, people are the biggest stressor for most programmers I would say.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

Or if IT security has locked down your machine and/or your access to systems such that you are unable to do your job, or have to jump through many hoops daily to get the job done at a 25-50% efficiency rate.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

Business
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:33 AM

LOL! NeoTifa hit the nail on the head. If only the business users would just let me design and write my code in peace, I will get around to fixing the bugs and implementing the new features that they want -- but let me do it on my schedule, not theirs.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

The beatings really suck after a while. I mean at first I thought hey, this can't get any worse because you are locked in a basement, but it keeps going and going and going in bizarre and more painful ways. You would swear they have a cert that requires yearly training from Alastair himself!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 04 November 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

LOL! NeoTifa...implementing the new features that they want ...

LOL surely you jest. As if they even knew what they wanted. Spent 2 weeks trying to figure out what they wanted for a report that they needed "like omg yesterday please hurry". Every time I sent what they wanted they're like "wheres col x and y and z?" Okay you didn't ask for it. "But we do business with this company and they have ....". Dude, how would I know that? You ask for a, b, c, I give a, b, c, not d, e, and f also.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Or they expect you to do something but never told you to do it.

Yeah, a variant of that. You get told to do one thing, you do it, you show it to them, it's not really what they want (sometimes not at all) because what they really wanted was this other thing and you should have read their mind.

A couple ways to help mitigate that, if you're working with a customer and they're trying to automate something they're doing, make sure you ask them how they're doing it now and what their process is. Some customers come to us wanting a quote for the end solution that they've decided they need in our software, and we have to stop and ask them what problem is this solving to begin with. Sometimes you get some understanding about what they're really asking for if you can understand what they're doing now. Test-driven development can help too, if you can get them to approve of the tests you're doing to do to validate that it's finished before you even start, that can also help with any surprises down the road.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:34 AM

A trick that I've been using for "process automation" conversations is suggesting collaborating with our architect (me lulz) on creating a new, technology-enabled SOP. They get to be the hero that proposed this awesome new streamlined process to their leadership, and because I'm trying to help them (potentially) look good they are very forthcoming, not only with every little thing involved but also in all the pieces that everybody hates. If successful, they become trojan advertisement in the business for what we can do if the business will just *talk* to us.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:48 AM

The list of what DOESN'T cause stress in professional programming is probably considerably shorter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 andrewsw   User is online

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:08 AM

Working next to a numpty is stressful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:48 AM

Working for a numpty is even worse. I recall calling my current boss to let him know that I was going to be resigning because I was going to be reassigned to another team where their lead is a numpty. My boss told me not to do anything hasty while he pulled a few strings to keep me reporting to him.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1