5 Replies - 768 Views - Last Post: 10 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Does your company have soaking periods?

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

Just thought I would throw out a survey question about software release cycle. How many of you have some kind of soaking period before public release?

If you don't know what I mean, I am talking about a period of time where after the latest release is finished and gone through QA, internal people use the software regularly and see if any issues arise. If none are detected, then it goes to the public.

Some companies I have seen have a 1-2 week soak period, but I have also been part of companies who throw a release out to the public within minutes of coming out of QA.

Honestly I think all companies should have a lead time between QA release and going to the public. Even if it is just to give marketing some time to build content around it or support to finally pen those last few features down in the documentation.

Does your company soak and for how long?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Does your company have soaking periods?

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Does your company have soaking periods?

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:40 PM

Depends on the project. Most of our stuff is internal and if it's a big enough/important enough release a handful of folk are part of UAT and then day to day use before rollout. As it helps to have boots on the ground for questions and what not.

Most other things - naw.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:43 PM

My team likes to give people at least 30 days of burn-in time. We also tend to dogfood stuff for at least 30-60 days depending on risk level. I wish the rest of the company would do the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

We're doing continuous delivery, which includes teams who work on the actual user facing stuff (I'm on a backend team, mind). In my team at least, if there's a big change we're making, we'll feature toggle and enable it in QA until we're confident about turning it on in live.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 08 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:25 PM

Out of curiosity, does anybody know where that phrase in "Soaking period" come from and what it pertained to before the term was borrowed?

As I understand things (please feel free to correct me):
  • "dogfooding" was borrowed by Microsoft from the pet food industry -- "eat our own dogfood".
  • "smoke test" comes from the electronics manufacturing where devices are first powered on and checked to see if there are any short circuits which would "let the white smoke out".
  • "burn in time" also comes from the electronics manufacturing where devices are powered on and left running for some period after assembly/soldering to let all any defective components manifest issues early.
  • "bake time" comes from food industry where it refers to the time it takes for the cakes/pastries to be fully cooked.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

Our current soak period is overnight. We typically have an off-shore team do all sorts of testing and use with it once it has been okayed by automated tests and local QA folks, and if the off-shore team doesn't find anything that QA missed, we are good to ship the next day.

However, we are also working on a CI/CT/CD pipeline (CT -> Continuous Test) that will eventually reduce "soak time" to 4 hours; and my hope is even further reduced than that once people are confident in the system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1