4 Replies - 224 Views - Last Post: 09 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

the best database backend to use for an android business app

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

hello all,

I will be developing my first mobile app soon, and it will be for android. I already have the Android SDK installed, but I have also read about the NDK. I guess I would like to ask first...what's the difference between the SDK and the NDK? From what I've read, the NDK is easier to use for writing C and C++, and more appropriate for writing gaming software?

My biggest question though, is about what database platform to use to store my business information in? Are there any platforms that won't work with an android app? I have plenty of experience with MYSQL and Oracle, but no experience with SQL Server and that is very popular nowadays. Can anyone offer me some advice on this? Not only this, but I also understand that Java is the standard language for developing Android apps? Is that pretty much accepted among the developer community, or can other languages also be used?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: the best database backend to use for an android business app

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: the best database backend to use for an android business app

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

Any db can be used when you slap an API on it for database interactions.

Yes, Java is the usual, but some folk use Microsoft's xamarin to excellent outcomes.

Yes, ndk is the c++ libraries.
https://developer.android.com/ndk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 ndc85430   User is online

• I think you'll find it's "Dr"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

View Postajetrumpet, on 10 November 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

My biggest question though, is about what database platform to use to store my business information in? Are there any platforms that won't work with an android app? I have plenty of experience with MYSQL and Oracle, but no experience with SQL Server and that is very popular nowadays. Can anyone offer me some advice on this?

You haven't given any details of the application you're writing and what kind of data you'll be storing, so it's difficult to make suggestions. A couple of general points though:

- Remember, of course, that the database needn't live on the mobile device (and for things like SQL Server couldn't anyway, I'd imagine). You could decouple your app from knowing what kind of database is used by putting that storage behind a REST (HTTP) API and having the app use that. It's just HTTP, so there's nothing preventing an Android app make HTTP requests really.

- Relational databases aren't the only kind available these days. Since you've not said anything about the data or how it is meant to be accessed, it's impossible to say whether a relational DB or something else is best suited to your app.

Not only this, but I also understand that Java is the standard language for developing Android apps? Is that pretty much accepted among the developer community, or can other languages also be used?

Java or Kotlin are officially supported, though I'm not sure of any others these days.

This post has been edited by ndc85430: 09 November 2019 - 10:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:54 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 09 November 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

Any db can be used when you slap an API on it for database interactions.

this employer of mine doesn't have a ton of money as it is a small business. how reliable is MYSQL, considering that it's open source? do you have any experience using it with android?

View Postndc85430, on 09 November 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

- Relational databases aren't the only kind available these days. Since you've not said anything about the data or how it is meant to be accessed, it's impossible to say whether a relational DB or something else is best suited to your app.

the data that is to be stored is healthcare information that is supposed to be protected by the HIPPA act of the USA government. so it needs to be pretty secure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

MySQL tends to run the bulk of websites, and is fairly matured.

Presumably you'll take care of proper backups, data hashing, server security, etc. Outside of that it should function like any other DB server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1