4 Replies - 555 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2019 - 11:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE – on a surey-script after it worked very well weeks

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:36 AM

dear community, good day dear friends, 

have a issue - on a webserver i have two installations - 

a. wordpress
b. limesurvey (see https://www.limesurvey.org

i get the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE - on a surey-script - cf http://www.f-s-j.de/...cation/sa/login

it happens especially in chrome - not so often in FireFox 

Sometimes I was able to access the webadmin section without an issue.  i have  installed LimeSurvey under a folder inside my wordpress installation - i have gotten get all kind of issues over the time.

- MyDomain.TLD/limesurvey/ (LimeSurvey)
- MyDomain.TLD/ (Wordpress)

LimeSurvey and Wordpress tell the server to rewrite URLs for the browser. In my setup Wordpress will overrule certain settings of LimeSurvey. well i guess that i  would need to check every change and update manually the htaccess file (note; i am running apache). To minimize work and trouble, i can install wordpress and limesurvey side by side. then i need to redirect from YourDomain.TLD/ -> YourDomain.TLD/wordpress/, but i have clean folders and don't cause delays and loops when it comes to URL accessing. 

well i just could use /w/ for wordpress and /s/ for limesurvey will keep the URL short.
How would you do that!?

furthermore the question: are there further options i have to solve the issue with 

look forward to hear from you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE – on a surey-script after it worked very well weeks

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE – on a surey-script after it worked very well weeks

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

well - i have to try to find any php errors? E.g. in the webserver log or watchdog? Without any error there is nothing we can do about it.

i can imaginge that i have to do with the htaccess rules. At this point I see that i have to take care for the .htaccess-file

for the ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE and its relationship to google-chrome: cf https://duckduckgo.c...b=v167-1&ia=web

well i need to figure out what goes on here
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

If they have conflicting htaccess rules then you'll need to install them next to each other instead of one under the other one. If you want information about errors, you need to find Apache's error log and PHP's error log.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:33 AM

hello again -good day dear Artifical Soldier,

again me - many many thanks for the reply - your ideas and thoughts are allways very intersting.

well i also have discussed the issue with the limesurvey-user here:

https://www.limesurv...or-weeks/191580

after having mused bout the errors and the possible reasons - after having mused bout porting over the installation on subomains or a
side to side installation i suddenly saw that the site is coming back... ;)

note: i guess that the errors ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE - is rooted in a very very weak server - just that easy - is this possible - is this thinkable!?

Holch - one user of the limesurvey - he has got the very same installation - structure as i have.

the user holch: : in this thread you answer very interestingly :

I run Limesurvey and Wordpress in a very similar setting (Wordpress in root and LS in subfolder)
and I don't have the same problems. So while I wouldn't want to exclude this as the source of issues completely,
I would probably focus on other aspects first, as it works fine with me for quite some time now.
Of course, as Jelo says, any update in one of the two applications could start causing problems.

https://www.limesurv...-well-for-weeks

at the moment it goes very well - in other words i have no issues at the moment: Holch - is it thinkable that this error is rooted in a very slow server!? I have to admit that this seerver is very very old and will be replaced very soon (in a few weeks)

you have mentioned that you have installed limesurvey in (exactly) the same way as i did.
you also have mentioned that you did not have encountered any of the issues as i have encountered.

is this true!?

furthermore; i have googled this error - guess that it is this one:

Error 324 (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data
https://stackoverflo...n-hosted-by-aws

website. I don't think it is Chrome browser bug either because when I open safari I don't get the error, I get a white page.Not sure what is happening or why. Basically, I am looking for the root causes for this server error.
Any ideas would be much appreciated. If you need me to provide any specific info, let me know.
Come to think of it, this error started happening because the server is pretty slow!

cf: https://stackoverflo...n-hosted-by-aws

- Except a CURL shows me the HTML just fine, but it's not loading up in a browser. What in the world could be causing something like this :( Everything was fine until last night
- @Till's curl advice is brilliant :)
- what about to work with Session-stickyness:
Edit: How do you manage this problem in the future when you need session stickiness? I have no idea. But there should be answers on this out there!
- ...In addition to this, GZIP needs to be disabled at the web server (apache, or other).

what do you say - is this thinkable that the server ist pretty slow!?
what bout the test-method of using curl - in the moment when encountering the issue- !?

the idea of Err Empty_Response_ being rooted in the slow server - well this would be great - since i change the server in the next few weeks. Is this idea of the possible roots thinkable - and convincing!?

note: as it runs very well at the moment i will take a closer look at the behaviour - and will try to find out if /(when) the error will be appear again.

look forward to hear from you
regards

This post has been edited by sayhello: 28 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

is this thinkable that the server ist pretty slow!?

Doubtful. The server is accepting the request and just not sending any response. It's not that the request is not even making it to the server or that you can't connect, it makes it, there's just no response. It sounds more like something is crashing the server during the handling of that request.

If you're going to a new server then maybe just wait for that and see what happens. Every server is different and probably uses slightly different software versions, so what crashes one server might not crash another. But if limesurvey contains code that might cause Apache to crash, changing servers might not matter. If Apache is crashing then you'll see it in Apache's error logs, it will say that there was a segmentation fault or something similar.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1