4 Replies - 665 Views - Last Post: Yesterday, 11:32 AM

#1 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

UWP, WPF, and Xamarin Forms is dead. Use WinUI instead

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:04 AM

WinUI and WinRT: Official modern Windows API now universal thanks to WebAssembly

"WinUI 3.0 is the future of native UX development on Windows," said Microsoft's principal program manager, James Clarke, at the event earlier this month. Weary devs have heard this kind of line before.
:
There is a bit of fudge because the old Win32 API still exists, and Win32 applications still run, but the intention is that we think of WinUI as the native Windows UI stack. The old idea that developers have to choose between UWP or desktop applications has gone, with Win32 applications having full access to the WinRT API used by UWP or WinUI, as well as WinUI controls via a technology called XAML Islands; and WinUI 3.0 applications able to behave like desktop applications. WinUI 3.0 works on Windows 10 1703 and higher.

A further implication of this approach is that Microsoft does not intend to do more than minimal further work on the Win32 API. Old frameworks such as Windows Forms and WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) will largely be left alone. The major effort has been to get them running on .NET Core, the modern and open-source version of .NET, and to allow developers to extend applications with WinUI features.

and also the reporter put their finger on why WinForms was ported to .NET Core instead of letting it just die on the vine:

... Third, Microsoft has not replicated the ease of development found in Windows Forms for quick and dirty business applications.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: UWP, WPF, and Xamarin Forms is dead. Use WinUI instead

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: UWP, WPF, and Xamarin Forms is dead. Use WinUI instead

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

Silverlight4LIFE!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

LOL! If I still had my Saturn sedan, "SL4LIFE" would have been a great license plate for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:22 AM

I am old enough to measure wins by languages I don't have to learn.. ObjectiveC and Silverlight as of note.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

I have found far more documentation for WFA than for WPF. If they think WinUI is going to replace those then the only thing that I can suggest is they heavily document it, that will be the only way we will see adoption of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1