3 Replies - 547 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2019 - 01:12 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to organize and do backups?

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:31 AM

Ok I own a couple servers and need help organizing files so I can easily do backups.

I use freebsd as the OS. I currently tried to setup a server and do a raid. i done a backup dump but I think boot files that were backed up got currupted and not sure what to do. I cannot boot into the system but I install a new os on a new drive and boot off that. I am trying to get the old system back up and running.

anyways, I want to know what's the best way do organize a system so it's easier to do backups of systems? I am thinking to setup a raid but I need to know or get tips that best helps with manual backups. If I have to backup important files to a external hard drive. I just want to click a folder and drag and drop to the external hard drive and it backs important files.

The problem here is I use mysql, apache , dns , dovecot , postfix etc as servers and I have no clue what files it contains that needs to be backed up.

I just want a system built so if a hard drive fails. I can easily grab a brand new drive and just copy all the files over and it will be back up and running in no time. THE backup I Have has all the important files it's just the boot files are corrupted. I am thinking to install the os again and then just copy over all the files i have and have it overwritten them to hopefully get the old system back up and running.

My real question is what files are important on Freebsd to get it bootable and running. I want to copy files to a external drive and be able to copy over the system onto other servers? that way if I want to make a new system of server I can just tweak stuff.
I do not want to reinstall the OS and start from scratch every time. I like how I have my systems config and it usually takes me months to get freebsd configured to my liking and it's due to forgetting what software to download and how to configure stuff because most of what I did was to follow tutorials and some of them are either lost or the website not longer exists or with the newer system the config has to be done a different way so old configs will cause errors.

Any ideas or thoughts about this I would appreciate it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to organize and do backups?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to organize and do backups?

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:45 AM

I want to copy files to a external drive and be able to copy over the system onto other servers?

That doesn't sound like backup, that sounds like imaging. It sounds like you want to be able to save an image that you can then load into another machine, or replace a busted up machine with a clean image start. Backup is just saving your important data, you wouldn't really use a backup set to get an entire new server set up. A lot of those files and configs are going to be specific to the machine they came from.

I am thinking to setup a raid but I need to know or get tips that best helps with manual backups.

How you configure the storage volumes won't really matter to backup. The OS is going to see the entire RAID array as a single volume, it doesn't matter to the backup software what the underlying hardware is.

I just want to click a folder and drag and drop to the external hard drive and it backs important files.

That's just the backup client that you're using. At home I use Veeam to handle my backups, maybe look into that. I have a very large NAS device that handles backup storage for all computers on my network, and the Veeam client on each computer handles the actual backup process for that computer.

The problem here is I use mysql, apache , dns , dovecot , postfix etc as servers and I have no clue what files it contains that needs to be backed up.

You'll need to do some research to figure out where each of those programs store the files you might want to back up. With MySQL, for example, you may only want to back up the actual database files, or you may want to also back up the MySQL system files. You just need to do the research on how to back up the data for that program. Some of those programs, like MySQL, include features to support backup and restore also:

https://dev.mysql.co...d-recovery.html
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

Rather than backing up, I would deploy to non-production. Then scrub credentials from code/configs, & publish to bit-bucket or local git repository. Then deploy to your production servers. The last place that I worked at, absolutely everything was done over CFEngine. Every enclave got it's own (mirrored) DNS/Web/DB, & local CFEngine repository. That maybe overkill for your setup, just sharing to showcase it's scaleability.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2019 - 01:12 AM

If you've got real files which are to be backed up, then why not to try and use amazon? You pay as you consume resources, there are great durability and practically 100% guarantee (well, 99,9999999%) that it will be all right with your files.

If you need imaging let me know and I'll try to give you some options which you probably could benefit from.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1