5 Replies - 845 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Interview for a Project

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:31 PM

Hello, I have a project for my technical communications class where I have to interview a professional in my career field of interest. Would anyone that was or is currently employed as a software developer/engineer answer these interview questions. If you answer, could you give some basic background information about you concerning the field such as your level of education (i.e. bachelors or masters), years of experience, the jobs you've had a software developer, etc. Could you also state your full name and email address. Thank you.

Q.1: What drew you to the field of software developing?

Q.2: Did your job as a software developer require a specific level of education?

Q.3: When you applied for your job as a software developer was it in demand?

Q.4: If you had any advice for future software developers, what would it be?

Q.5: What’s the most challenging part of your job?

Q.6: Are your work hours hectic or are they pretty flexible?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interview for a Project

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interview for a Project

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:58 AM

A.1: I absolutely LOVE creating things. Seeing something that you made come to life is one of the most satisfying things I've seen.

Q.2: Did your job as a software developer require a specific level of education?
A.2: It required me to have a MBO-4 Certificate (Equivelent is NLQF level: 4. duration is 4 years)

A.3: I didn't apply but I got offered a job after my internship due to the high demand.

A.4: Stay interested in learning and keep learning new technologies.

A.5: The most challenging part of my job is to understand what the product owner really wants.
The project always starts quite vague and I have to find my way to make a concept of what they were trying to explain.

A.6: Very flexible because I work from home with a weekly meeting at the office.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 NeoTifa   User is online

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

I like the logic and puzzle solving aspects. Also money (probably why I picked that over illustration)

It's supposed to have at least a bachelors in CS but I don't have one. I just know my stuff.

Yes, but I was working construction and was just throwing out apps to see if anything came of it. Something came of it obvs.

Keep an open mind to new frameworks and languages and paradigms. Also, live, eat, breathe devops.

Business/customers

Both
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

I'll bite.

In the beginning it was mainly fueled by a desire to write my own OS and make games, but also just a general curiosity about tech. My first experience with programming was when I was approx. 7 years old - and I started taking it more seriously around 13. I never planned for it to be a career; that was just a happy accident.

Nah. I worked freelance for a few years - and that freelance experience (amongst other things) was enough to get my first full time job.

I'd say so.

Avoid hero worship and thought leaders. Don't have an undying loyalty to one language, framework or paradigm. If someone's better than you, don't try to drag them down; try to rise to their level instead. (These are some of the main mistakes I see that prevent people progressing.)

I thrive on solving difficult problems and get bored (and sometimes unproductive) when not challenged. Unfortunately, much of the day-to-day work of programming is just grinding through the easy stuff.

I work remotely these days with no real restrictions preventing me juggling my hours. I work ~40 hours per week.

RE basic background information: No formal education; ~15 years of commercial experience; worked variously as senior developer, lead developer, etc. developing for mobile/web/desktop. (That's all I'm comfortable disclosing)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:01 AM

I fell into it. I've always done complex problem solving, and this is just that. It started with me discovering a way to save myself 6 hours a week on an off day to run a report. I wrote a program to handle the report for me and decided to pursue it further.

Formal? No. I have no formal education, but my education never ends.

Probably, but the market where I started wasn't anything like it is in my current city either.

Accept failure, you learn more from it. You would be surprised how much you can figure out when you just tinker with how things work.
Don't walk into any situation thinking you know better than the people that are there. Listen to everything being said, and withhold opinions until you actually have you feet under you. So many people starting out walk into a new role thinking they are the only ones that know how to do anything properly and that they need to show the old timers how it's really done. This is an easy way to irritate your entire support system.

The stress I put on myself. I have moved on from being a developer to an architect. That means I design the overall systems and how they communicate with each other. So there is a lot of pressure to not screw it up, as I am expected to be the subject matter expert with a lot of things, even ones that I am just learning.

They have been, but that depends on the company culture and to current projects. Closer to a deadline and things will get more chaotic, better companies know how to juggle and plan things better to limit this considerably.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

Having been working with computers since I was young, it was kind of an obvious choice. There wasn't anything else that I wanted to do, so it was more a process of elimination.

Most of my work has been as a System Administrator. What positions that I have held as a developer were probably a Bachelor's Degree, at the most.

I suppose that depends on one's definition of 'demand'. There were openings, & if I was the best candidate, there are probably quite a few openings to fill.

Never quit learning. There are thousands of college graduates entering your field, & even more so straight out of high-school. Each year hundreds of thousands of potential employees enter the market. You need to keep your education up to date. Never settle on any one single speciality either. Be dynamic, continue learning, & above all, be a value to your employer.

Non engeniers.

Completely flexible. If there's a due date, it is the utmost importance. If you want to get your work done at 1:am or 1:pm, just as long as it's getting done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1