5 Replies - 196 Views - Last Post: 02 December 2019 - 09:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Number of Tabs Shown in Visual Studio Editor?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:10 AM

Is there a way to change the number of tabs shown at the top of the Visual Studio (2017)code editor? I'm referring to the tabs which show the forms that are open in the editor. On my computer I get a maximum of 6 tabs and if I want to open the code for another form in my projects then I have to select it from the dropdown list or the solution explorer. A minor inconvenience, I know, but I'm just wondering if the number of tabs is fixed, or dependent on the screen resolution, or if there is an option to change it? Most of my form names are relatively short and twice as many tabs for them would fit in the screen space.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Number of Tabs Shown in Visual Studio Editor?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Number of Tabs Shown in Visual Studio Editor?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

It's dependent on the screen size.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:10 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 November 2019 - 06:50 PM, said:

It's dependent on the screen size.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that wan't the case, but oh well. I guess I'll just start using bigger names for my forms to put all that unused tab space to work. Form1, 2, and the others look kind of small and lonely up there with all that wide open space around them!
:bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Member Title
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:12 AM

Got to really ask, why are you leaving your form's as Form1, Form2? All it is really doing is making your code harder to read, because no one would knows what Form1 does except you.

For example, if Form5 is a search form then call it SearchForm, or something like that, there is different naming standard's out there form example some people would of called it frmSearch. personally I don't like this naming style, but that is your call.

Same as calling a variable i or j, or leaving textboxes and textbox1, it is just completely unhelpful, not just when you asking for help on forums but when you reviewing your own code in 3 years times.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:31 AM

Just to ensure that you are aware of options to view, and switch, between open tabs:

• There is an arrow to the right of the tabs to list them
  • Or from the Windows menu
  • Or via Ctrl-Tab

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

View Postmaceysoftware, on 02 December 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

Got to really ask, why are you leaving your form's as Form1, Form2? All it is really doing is making your code harder to read, because no one would knows what Form1 does except you.

For example, if Form5 is a search form then call it SearchForm, or something like that, there is different naming standard's out there form example some people would of called it frmSearch. personally I don't like this naming style, but that is your call.

Same as calling a variable i or j, or leaving textboxes and textbox1, it is just completely unhelpful, not just when you asking for help on forums but when you reviewing your own code in 3 years times.

The smiley face :bigsmile: following my remarks was intended to indicate levity, but obviously I need to improve my literary skills as well as my coding skills. I don't truly believe that Forms get lonely if surrounded by too much open tab space at the top of the code editor. I'm quite sure that is just a myth!

In the days of VB6 I did use the convention of frmWhatever for form names, but nowadays Visual Studio nags me about the impropriety of using lowercase for the first character in form and other object names, so I have reluctantly adapted to the use of ALL CAPS for those as my way of raging against Microsoft's tyranny.

(That's another attempt at humor, BTW)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1