5 Replies - 737 Views - Last Post: 30 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create a C++ GUI app in VS2019?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 Community edition. That said, the last time I used Visual C++ was back in '98/'99 and creating a C++ GUI application was a breeze. But with this VS2019, I can't figure out how to do this. I can get the form designer for C# and VB without a problem, but I don't care for C# or VB. I want C++. Using Qt is a no-brainer. Open a new project and our code and form designer are right there. But for VS2019, I can't figure out how to get to the C++ form designer. I've been on the MS website and all they want to talk abt is VB and C#, nothing abt C++ and enabling its form designer. I've searched high and low for references/tutorials to help me get to the C++ form designer. Nothing!

So that's what I'm doing here, seeing if anyone on this forum can help me get to the C++ form designer in VS2019. It seems to me that MS doesn't want anyone to use the C++ form designer but them, so they hide it to the point where a person gives up and uses their C# or VB. I have zero interest in either of them. I hope someone here can help me.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create a C++ GUI app in VS2019?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create a C++ GUI app in VS2019?

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

The docs lay it out well assuming you have C++ selected when you installed VS. If not you can modify that by opening up the 'visual studio installer'.

https://social.msdn....?forum=winforms
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:25 PM

I appreciate your reply, and I did as per the doc. In the end, I got no option for a CLR program. I keep getting a server error trying to upload two small PNG files. So here's the links to them:

https://i.imgur.com/VdDT6wV.png

https://i.imgur.com/08azZN0.png

Anyway, I guess using Visual Studio is beyond me. No matter my efforts, I keep being denied. Why do they insist on making users' access to C++ with the form designer like walking through a maze of mirrors? I know they want to push C# and VB for job security. I get that. But to isolate C++ w/a form designer like this is crazy!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

Got it. Sure is a lot just to work with a form designer. I think I'll go back to Qt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:27 PM

Strange.. I don't have an issue with a few clicks and bam - new project.

You are emoting a weird sense of 'microsoft is out to getcha' vibe, but do what you will.

Tools are tools and not religions so happy coding.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

I detest Microsoft. And if you think that's weird, then that's your prerogative. Happy coding to you, too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1