6 Replies - 276 Views - Last Post: 03 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Member, Software Project

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:13 AM

Hi all,

New member here so apologies if this is in the wrong place or anything. Im fairly new to the software development as I've mostly done website developer and thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm working on a project that to put it simply is a reverse auction. A user can create an account via a wordpress website and the idea is for them to fill out a form for a product and to be able to submit it to companies also registered on the website. The companies would then look to give the cheapest price for that product.

I am using wordpress as a base for this purely because a lot of the plugins avaliable are easiest and the client wants access to it as well mostly the backend so I figured that would be easiest for them to use as well.

I've got to the point where I'm looking at how the user would fill out a form to submit the order and I'm looking to do something like a wizard where the user is given simple options that would display on the website such as product brand, once thats select it would give them options for specific models, colours etc as well as the ability to add any notes. Once that is completed it should filter the products that are listed on the website in WooCommerce. I'm wanting to send that to other uses who fall in the "company" category and I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggesitons on where to start with this?

I was trying to find some examples to see where to start but I'm thinking my searches maybe describing the wrong things as all that is coming up were things like contact form submissions and I'm getting a bit lost. Could anyone perhaps shed some light on where abouts to start with this at all?

Any help would be much appriciated!
Thanks
Rob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Member, Software Project

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Member, Software Project

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:02 AM

It's a just a bidding platform, like someone would have for construction or services.

https://wpneon.com/b...auction-themes/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 03 December 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

It's a just a bidding platform, like someone would have for construction or services.

https://wpneon.com/b...auction-themes/

Thanks for that, I think when I was originally searching, the keywords that were originally mentioned were not auction as that word wasn't used originally but now that is pretty much what it is. My main thing is that I've got to stop trying to re-invent the wheel, somebody out there would have already made something along these lines just like eBay for example. Just a case of finding them :)

Thanks for the reply!
Rob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:25 AM

The issue you will likely face, I wouldn't think you would want to make the bids public. You say I want this, and companies submit a bid on the product with their price. The client user would then select the bid that is most appealing, correct?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:54 AM

View Postastonecipher, on 03 December 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

The issue you will likely face, I wouldn't think you would want to make the bids public. You say I want this, and companies submit a bid on the product with their price. The client user would then select the bid that is most appealing, correct?

Yes that's correct, firstly only logged users can see the auctions but only the auctions that they have submitted so for example if you created an auction, I wouldn't be able to see that or anything related to the bids. The Companies who are registered however will have the ability to see any auctions they are involved with so ideally I'd need to also create a form of dashboard with restricted views for the companies but I think I'm able to do that with a wordpress plugin.

Thanks
Rob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

I would think, you would want anyone to see current active items that are still biddable, but only the creator should see anything regarding the bids, minus maybe how many bids have been made.

I would role my own in this case, so I don't know what plugins are or are not available for this type of project, I would figure you would need to change the process a bit either way being that this is not just a purchase type of workflow.

Ebay, you see the highest bidder; is the idea to show the current lowest bid in order to entice lower bids?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:17 AM

Yes I figured we'd have to rework some things in order to get them how we want as the plugins I'm finding are almost what I want but not quite there so having to customize them quite a bit. Originally the idea was to have a live bidding thing where multiple companies would bid on this auction promising to sell a product at a certain price and once it was won whoever won the auction would then get in touch with the user to move on with the sale. Since then I beleive the idea now is just to have companies send a bid in and which ever is the lowest the user will probably go with is the idea. This would mean that companies don't see each others bid and they'd probably only get one chance per auction to bid unless something happens causing the auction to be reopened. Personally not to fond of that idea haha.

I have a plugin called Ultimate WooCommerce Auction Pro that we purchased as 99% of that plugin had exactly what we want so it's mostly a case of finding other plugins that do what we want and will work with that one. Some require a bit of tweaking

Thanks
Rob

This post has been edited by astonecipher: 03 December 2019 - 08:19 AM
Reason for edit:: No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1