3 Replies - 489 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2019 - 01:24 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Transfer students’ application to production

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:11 AM

Hi all,

Our Students periodically develop applications, some of them look great and we are considering using it in production at our University. A number of concerns we have, which I don’t know how to deal with, they are:

- In our IT department, we only have one web developer, he doesn’t have experience in all programming languages, even if he does, he cannot look into thousand of lines to analyze the code interim of security, bugs, stability…etc. How to deal with this?

- After students who developed the application graduates, who should maintain the software and who should management. As mention before, I only have one developer, which cannot take control of software developed by students and maintain it?

- Is there an application or software that will analyze codes for all bugs and security glitches, or all these have to be manually taken care of?

How do other universities deal with these cases? Are student's works, not research, put into production at all? Normally these works are developed by students in their spare time or it could be their capstone.

Thanks in Advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Transfer students’ application to production

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Transfer students’ application to production

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:09 AM

View Postuknet, on 05 December 2019 - 06:11 AM, said:

- In our IT department, we only have one web developer, he doesn’t have experience in all programming languages, even if he does, he cannot look into thousand of lines to analyze the code interim of security, bugs, stability…etc. How to deal with this?

Should this have been something the TA's or Professors reviewed if it is submitted work? Wouldn't those professors know the language?

- After students who developed the application graduates, who should maintain the software and who should management. As mention before, I only have one developer, which cannot take control of software developed by students and maintain it?

It would obviously be the schools at that point, but are we to assume that the student is expected to maintain it after submitted, but prior to graduation?

- Is there an application or software that will analyze codes for all bugs and security glitches, or all these have to be manually taken care of?

There are static and dynamic code analyzers, VeraCode is one product my company uses for this.

How do other universities deal with these cases? Are student's works, not research, put into production at all? Normally these works are developed by students in their spare time or it could be their capstone.

I don't believe most schools steal their students work to use for their own purposes, but I may be wrong?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:04 AM

some of them look great and we are considering using it in production at our University.
While the projects may look good, I would be highly concerned about using student code in production without being verified and documented.

he cannot look into thousand of lines to analyze the code interim of security, bugs, stability…etc. How to deal with this?
Don't use student code, but use commercial off the shelf.

After students who developed the application graduates, who should maintain the software and who should management
The students are not indentured servants for life because their old alma mater decides to use it. You can pay them a maintenance contract or make due on your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:24 AM

Thanks, guys for your support,

I was trying to find a University policy similar to our situation, but I could not find any. If you come across anything like please share it with me. just wanted a detailed procedure for transferring student work to production at the same university.

Thanks,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1