4 Replies - 407 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2019 - 07:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software conversion

Posted 08 December 2019 - 12:57 AM

Hello In the company I work for,we want to convert the software from the Windows 7 operating system to Windows 10 (the software was written in 2002). The client side is developed in VB6 and the server side in c ++. The first option is to switch to the VisualStudio2019 environment and the client will be developed in VB.net and the server will remain in c ++ (I would also love to hear a bit about communication between them from people with experience as it is now 2 different environments). Second option to switch to JAVA on both sides. Regarding the first option, I tested a bit in the market about a course at VB.NET and saw that the language is not so much sought after and as a programmer I might prefer to move the project to a slightly more advanced environment with respect to the market, The database we are currently working on is object oriented and belongs to POET (also very old). I would love to recommend a more advanced object-oriented DATA BASE. Thank you very much.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software conversion

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software conversion

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:49 AM

What languages are you or your developers proficient in? If you are switching to unfamiliar languages you are adding a great deal to the development time and, possibly, the risks of security flaws, simply because you will be in unfamiliar territory.

Also, the dev environment, the IDEs, is an insignificant concern unless, again, they are foreign to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• never lube your breaks
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

I believe that Vb6 is still supported in Windows 10, to some extent, so I would prefer that your reason to move from it is because it is obsolete.

In either case, you need to weigh up the entire cost, in money, time and effort, to transfer the app.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:56 AM

Unfortunately, Object Oriented Database Management Systems (OODBMS) have not fully taken off. Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) is still king despite the industry's acknowledgement that there is a relational to object impedance mismatch. The current approach is to use an object-to-relational mapper (ORM). Being in the NoSQL camp, I am happy that NoSQL is making some progress, but not all the NoSQL solutions are technically object oriented. Most of the current popular one now tend to be document oriented, or key-value pair oriented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:27 AM

I love the JVM, but I'm curious why you don't prefer e.g. C#, given its similarity and Windows-centric platform support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1