1 Replies - 93 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Finally got round to doing this!

Posted 31 December 2019 - 01:33 AM

Hi all,

So some of you may have already seen some of my posts around, I got the forum about a month ago I think as I was having some trouble with a company system and really needed help. A little bit about me, well theres not much to tell I'm a huge geek, love computers and the sci-fi stuff. I'm based in the UK in my first actual job as a website and software developer.

I'm pretty new to the software side of things so please excuse any daft questions as I'm sure you'll be wondering "He's a software developer and he's asking that question...." I've been in this job since July 2019 and loving it, Started my first website when I was around 9 and it was a website based on one of my favourite band's guitarists "Synyster Gates" from Avenged Sevenfold (Yes I'm a musician too :) ) and the entire "site" if you can even call it that was basically stealing information from the guitar manufacturers and putting it on my website then having youtube likes and a couple of examples of shows where he used that guitar too! Without blowing my own horn, for a website that I did when I was about 12 years old the initial look of it was quite pleasant, everything else was as you'd expect haha.

On top of that I like to build websites as a "side hustle" sort of thing when I have some spare time and I currently find myself redoing the same few websites with new ways of doing it. One of my sites, it's a build log for my R2D2 build, I'm part of the R2 Builders Club here in the UK so thought kill two birds with one stone do a website documenting my build progress etc I have re-done that about 3 times, first time I used only HTML and CSS which was fine but really not nice on the front end, so much clutter, wasn't mobile friendly very much. Second build was using Bootstrap which is much better, much more mobile responsive which was what I was wanting, using columns and rows to position images etc, it still needed something else though. Finally the current version I have ended up dipping into the PHP side which I'm currently loving however I do wonder if I'm doing "too much" PHP. I have basically got around 200 lines per page of HTML (minimum) and replaced it all with 4-6 lines of PHP includes. I'm never 100% satisfied and that can cause problems sometimes but I look at it as a way to constantly improve!

Just going from the few questions I've already asked and the responses I've got everyone seems rather nice and willing to help! I was browsing many forums like this over the years and either found forums where nobody actually helped, there were really just there to either have others do the work for them "snd code pls" or just sat in the general chat sections and never actually discussed anything haha. Gave StackedOverflow a go as well but every time I asked a question I wasn't even getting actual responses it was simply highly experienced people basically saying "Go figure it out" without actually offering any support so I gave up on that straight away but this place seems nice :D

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Rob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Finally got round to doing this!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Finally got round to doing this!

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Hello RobHowdle. Welcome to the forums.

I started programming literally over 20 years ago. But it has mostly been a hobby for me. I know what you mean when you say how you look back on projects when you were a kid and feel quite accomplished. I can say the same thing happened for me. Except I think I was about 14 or 15, and my website was based of my favourite strategy game at the time: Total Annihilation. I did mine as a school project and actually got top marks for it.

Re StackOverflow: I never joined that website but I can understand your sentiment. A lot of programmers don't enjoy their brains being picked. I've had the same experiences elsewhere. Ie RTFM sort of responses. It's kind of a global problem unfortunately. I can tell you now that if you join a university, lecturers and tutors sure as hell won't talk to you like that. Very contrasting and to be honest, far better quality than information from either Stack Overflow or Source Forge. I hope one day, when I'm wise and have a massive long beard that I have the patience to be more forthcoming and help people, to inspire and motivate them to continue writing brilliant code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1