8 Replies - 687 Views - Last Post: 10 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is it potentially more problematic to set up a project with Python tha

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:40 PM

Here for instance we see that OP has a problem with libffi library and the solution was rebuild the library and Python itself. Pretty inconvenient for being ready to work on a project. And that's only one of many libraries that may be necessary for a project, so potentially a lot of problems.

I've never seen such about C#, Java and C++ for instance. (Don't know what to think about Php and Ruby though).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is it potentially more problematic to set up a project with Python tha

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it potentially more problematic to set up a project with Python tha

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

You maybe doing an apples to oranges comparison.

From my reading of that link, the issue there is that the OP wanted to build everything from source including Python itself, and he didn't have all the pieces in place.

My reading of your question is that you are simply trying to build something that uses Python (or C#, Java, or C++), and not actually also build the tools from source.

Have you tried build C#, Java, or C++ from source followed by the project itself that you wanted to build? (I know I hit some issues trying to build the real .NET Framework from source back in the old days when I worked at MS. Building Mono from source was slightly easier. This was before MS became open source.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

View PostSkydiver, on 09 January 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

From my reading of that link, the issue there is that the OP wanted to build everything from source including Python itself, and he didn't have all the pieces in place.

The thing is that he had installed libffi and still was told that there is no _ctypes.
I had a similar issue: installed libffi-dev on Ubuntu, but still told that no _ctypes. I didn't build Python. His solution was to build a newer version of libffi-dev.
But I've heard you about .NET and Mono.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

View Postu3000, on 09 January 2020 - 10:56 PM, said:

I had a similar issue: installed libffi-dev on Ubuntu, but still told that no _ctypes. I didn't build Python.

What were you trying to build that gave you that error about no _ctypes?

I think you need to tell us what types of project you are trying to build that is giving you concerns about using Python as opposed to some other language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

I have an issue with Buildozer while trying to build Kivy program for Android, when I run buildozer android debug deploy run it says no module named _ctypes.

I created related topic here:
https://python-forum...cept-libffi-dev

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 10 January 2020 - 11:59 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

I don't know how closely related this is, but this StackOverflow thread makes it look like there is a bug/oversight in the buildozer configuration of the toolchain that is missing another required components (e.g. libffi-dev).

I don't think this is a problem with the language per se, but rather the tooling around the language tools. It doesn't help the reputation of the language though. This is just like people won't distinguish between Drupal the CMS vs. the ecosystem that helps support Drupal.

I understand that you want to have confidence in your tools. You'd rather be working on your project so that your dream for it becomes reality rather than futzing around with build tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

I didn't mean that it's language itself, but that impressions there is that dealing with Pythons ecosystem (tooling) will bring you problems with higher probability (if compare to C#, Java, Ruby...). I was wondering if my impression correct. By they way the guy at the link above told that those mess took him several month to solve.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 10 January 2020 - 01:01 PM
Reason for edit:: Removed unnecessary quote. No need to quote the post above yours.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:36 PM

It also depends on the set of tools and/or the combination of tools. For example:
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a developer machine without McAfee. ---> 100% chance of success.
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a developer machine with McAfee. ---> 90% chance of success.
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a Jenkins build machine without McAfee. ---> 90% chance of success.
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a Jenkins build machine with McAfee. ---> 70% chance of success.
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a Bamboo build machine without McAfee. ---> 50% chance of success.
Building a C# project using MSBuild on a Bamboo build machine with McAfee. ---> 30% chance of success.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:52 PM

Ok.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1