12 Replies - 227 Views - Last Post: 27 January 2020 - 03:09 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Laravel Error when installing on a tablet

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:29 AM

Hi all,

I wasn't sure wether this belonged here on in the mobile development section.

Got a program (was developed by another dev who doesn't work with me anymore although I still have contact with him). The program was given to the clients who are using it on Microsoft Surfaces, Windows 10.

The person who originally started building this didn't have a clue and basically made it a Web Application which the client specifically didn't want because they places they go for work can often be secluded areas with no internet service so it needed to be offline. The clients have now asked me for some updates but I'm having some trouble installing the app on my testing tablet. I have the same one they have and I'm also installing it on my local server running wamp64.

I've compiled the app and installed it on my server and it works fine however when I install it on the tablet using the exact same installer, it is missing a whole bunch of files when I looked in the Program files and go into the app folder itself. It's coming up with a Permissions Error for the Storage\Logs\laravel-2020-01-14 specifically a log from today. I've gone and had a look and there are no permissions errors that should be coming up but I do wonder if it's giving me errors because it's missing all of these files but using the same installer as the one on my server I don't see how that is possible?

Things I've tried:
1) Reinstalling the app - Exact same result
2) Manually copying the missing files - No Change in the errors
3) Restarting the app - Has occasionally worked but no longer works and not something I want to tell the client to do if this error persists
4) Recompiled the installer and checking to ensure ALL folders and files are there and correct - Same result
5) Spoke to previous developer - He didn't have this issue although there is an issue running this app on Windows 8 he alerted me about, not sure why this is but not the problem at the moment
6) Completely removing and deleting any and all remaining instances of the app and any other versions of the app and reinstalling - Same problems.

Unsure what to try next. any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Laravel Error when installing on a tablet

#2 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Laravel Error when installing on a tablet

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

Does this thing require IIS or some webserver to be running?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Yes and no, no in the sense of a live web server but yes in the sense of a form of server. Because the client needs it to be local only we have opted for xamp which runs everything server side locally and it's got a sqlite database that stores the information. I've checked for any issues with xamp, even uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

I do think I may have fixed the issue though but I'm still testing it. The files are now there that were missing originally but it still operates differently on a tablet to a computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

Wait, so this app, on install, requires XAMPP to be installed on the tablet?

This is beyond a large red flag to stop, cut it off, and start over in the right direction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

Sadly the guy who started it spent about 4-6 months "getting closer" at which point the client the started to get annoyed and wanted it done asap no matter what.

The developer who took over scoped a timeframe to redo it from scratch properly but the client wasn't happy so he didn't have much of a choice but to make work what the other guy did. Really don't like the way it works either as it's just crappy and bad but thats what the client wanted. As much as I don't like I I kind of have to work with what I've got in this instance which really sucks :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

Well.. good luck I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

I think in this situation I need all the luck I can get haha!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

PHP isn't an app, nor is Laravel an adequate technology to use for mobile. This either needs to be redone so that a dumb frontend calls a laravel app hosted on a server, which doesn't appear to be the scope; or you need a persistent app that can also update a remote host when a connection is available to support it.

You are essentially in a no win situation, because someone had a hammer and wanted to turn everything into a nail, when glue was expected.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:26 AM

Slightly off the topic of the question but is there somewhere that has a good write up of building an industry standard app? i did have a google but that many different results came up I wasn't sure which one to follow
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:00 AM

What do you mean by that? I architect enterprise applications, both web and mobile, but I am not aware of a definition that meets that statement, so I need assistance on what you are after.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1   User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:57 AM

There is no 'one source' of information. Everyone's businesses are different, and projects shift. There are architecture books out there a plenty as well as development methodologies. Hit up the ol' amazons and find a semi recent, and well reviewed, book or three and start reading.

Checking in and steering development is a continual process lest you end up with some app far-far-FAR off the rails that is, essentially broken, and an angry client. Sure it sucks to cop to the client that the app is not remotely what was requested or has insanely security hole filled install reqs, but owning up to that is better than releasing a ticking time bomb. Sure the client will be angry and sure you may lose a bit of business, but that is something you can come back from and learn from in the process.

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

'Someone' had a meeting with a client I consult with that is supposed to launch their flagship product tomorrow. They wanted someone to fix some things in a few days. The person I recommended to do the work did a review and pointed out gaping security hole, authentication failures, and poor architectural design from the start. Rather than heed those words, they are scrambling to make it work so they can get the product out. What they wanted them to fix was to make it where they could accept payments from companies. Someone told them that a SSL would fix all of their security issues. This company will fail because they want to do what they want rather than listen to experienced people. The companies may have money stolen, or their own systems defaced due to these risks.

Now I am not saying you are in the same boat, but would you want to be? If there are issues with the system, make the client upset, explain how you are going to correct it, and make it right. Set their expectation appropriately and they are far more forgiving than telling them everything is great and they end up on the hook, because in the end you will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:09 AM

I know what you mean, I told my boss that the only way I will release this thing is if it is scrapped and redone. Original developer tried to build it in a way that was not right for what was needed, next guy tried to see if he could make it work (although he was very doubtful) but gave it a shot but it's simply not right. We are hopefully getting a new starter or two very soon who seem to be quite experienced so hopefully they'll back me up on this that we can't send it to a client cause it's not right and not what they asked for. Yes it's annoying and we'll get backlash for it but at the end of the day I'd rather that than the client constantly coming back wanting changing, reporting problems etc. One really bad day is better than a 100 somewhat bad days I guess.

Thanks for the advice !
Rob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1