2 Replies - 390 Views - Last Post: 20 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Work....

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

Hey all,

So I think I've got this in the right please, I'm not quite sure whether I just need one of those rants on whether people can relate/ offer advice?

I'm feeling a bit swamped right now and a bit worried, I've been in this job about 6 months now. I started within a week of the previous guy who did lot of this work leaving, I didn't know he was leaving otherwise I'd have made more of an attempt to learn from him about the systems in place.

After I started and he left they got a couple of other devs in, one of them was just terrible constantly missed deadlines with just nothing to show for months of work, the other guy was great but had the attitude when it came to existing systems of " I didn't build it therefore it's not my issue" which I didn't quite agree with since maintaining the existing systems was part of the job.

He left just before Christmas and now it's just me until they find some other developers. We currently have some projects on the go that and I'm feeling rather overwhelmed with them now, I've started one of them, a Watch Reverse Auction application via WordPress, as well as a ton of updates and maintenance work on original systems that always needs doing and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for me going forward? I'm hoping another developer comes in soon because at the moment I'm running out of steam really, tons of things that needs doing, projects that I'm working on I'm that still need fixing and I'm trying my best but I'm running out of ideas on how to fix them if that makes sense?

Baring in mind that this is my first job as a "Software Developer" and I'm still learning, originally came into the Role as a website designer but then got handed this role as well and I happily accepted as I was expecting to be in a team where I'd get help but that has quickly changed when people have left and I'm unsure if I'm the problem, if the problem is there is too much stuff for one person to do, if the projects are the issue etc and just feeling a bit lost in it all really. This weekend was the first time I actually worried about a project after a meeting with a client to show my work so far and they didn't hate it but they wanted it more like how another website operates and I'm thinking, that website probably had a much bigger team of developers with more experience working on, I'm one person using wordpress.

Just FYI I'm using wordpress (to my dismay) simply because I didn't have the knowledge/ experience to build something this complicated in another system really which could well have been my first mistake with this project...

I don't know maybe this is normal in the industry and people just get on with it? My bosses are pretty good and they try to help where they can but they are not programmers/ developers but we have no lead or essentially I'm technically the "lead" here and depending on who comes in next I may still be the lead developer which I shouldn't be. What's everyones thoughts?

Thanks
Rob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Work....

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Work....

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:10 AM

Just keep plugging away.

Work during work hours, do not work on things from home to hit deadlines, it will start happening more and more frequently until you hit full burnout. Your mental health is more important and more ingrained to your work than you think it is. If you decide, learn more about what you are doing and what you may be doing during your free time just as an aide, this isn't a requirement however. It's how I keep up with everything I have to do, and I take breaks frequently for my sanity.

Set expectations from the beginning and communicate any complications you are having. If you think the task will take a day and you are on day two, mention it. It may not get you help because there isn't anyone too help. but it will let everyone know progress rather than just thinking you are fine.

My first "real" dev job, I was the in house IT department; outside of a designer, I was it for everything from SysAdmin, Dev, Data designer, everything. It is a struggle, but you will learn a ton if you open your mind to everything that you are responsible for now.

Good luck, the pressure is high, but what you learn will help you later because of all the exposure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil   User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Work....

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

View PostRobHowdle, on 20 January 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Baring in mind that this is my first job as a "Software Developer" ...

Just FYI I'm using wordpress (to my dismay) simply because I didn't have the knowledge/ experience to build something this complicated in another system really which could well have been my first mistake with this project...

So if I understand the above correctly, you are an entry level developer, & you're getting to make infrastructure decisions? It sounds to me like they have unfair expectations of your work load. The fact that they brought in the developer with the attitude that he had, leads me to believe they are trying to stretch the most value out of the most affordable candidates. I can certainly understand why you feel overwhelmed.

But use this opportunity for the experience. I'll second what astonecipher suggested about working extra hours to hit deadlines. From the picture you have painted of the employer, that behavior will always be expected, & their attitude will become "what have you done for me lately", easily dismissing your previous accomplishments.

View PostRobHowdle, on 20 January 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

after a meeting with a client to show my work so far and they didn't hate it but they wanted it more like how another website operates

So they have the developer, whose purpose is to fix existing issues, in meetings with clients, & you've already started work on projects that don't have a clear definition of what "done" is? How long has this company been around?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1