6 Replies - 1327 Views - Last Post: 07 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Ideas for a hackathon project

Post icon  Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:06 PM

My employer has a hackathon each year in April and I wanted to participate in it. I'm not sure about the details of the contest, yet. I have a guy in my group who won last year when he made a program that he put in a Raspberry pi and it would scan items, when it found something that our employer gives a discount it will alert the user.

I went through Maryr's book and couldn't find anything that could be considered competition to Kiyano's project. Does someone have an idea or something that I could make? My only idea is to either make the Jarvis program on a Raspberry pi and have it webscrape time, weather and behave like a cell phone. But that seems more than what I could do in 24 hrs.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ideas for a hackathon project

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ideas for a hackathon project

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

Those are really good ideas. Other than the winning product, what kind of stuff was done in the past? Is there a theme or a standard target, or is it completely open?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

I couldn't find this years information. I'll ask and post here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

Depends on your job. My job only lets you do stuff that could be eventually implemented in production, like our winning project from 2 years ago *humble brag*. Find something in your industry a competitor is doing but you're not, come up with an original idea that could give your company an edge, or eschew that altogether and make something funny like one team last year (they were scorned but the execs were still amused).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Neotifia
Yep you're absolutely right. The projects have to revolve around the company and what can eventually implemented. Last year a guy created an app which when used with a bar scanner would show whether an employee would get a company discount on stuff.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:05 AM

Since you seem to be working in the IT department of your new company, how about a keylogger that only activates when it is time for users to change their password. It detects if the users in your company are only changing a single character between their old password and their new password. Oh wait... keylogger probably a bad idea...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

I mentioned your idea as well as another idea I had to help the sys admins and I was told that its not a good idea because they don't want anyone modifying the proprietary computers they use. I have an idea to modify a few things the program the runner up presented but I'm not sure if thats a good idea or would disqualify me. Their program was written in powershell and my idea would be written in either C#
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1