5 Replies - 348 Views - Last Post: 29 January 2020 - 06:11 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Step by Step Filter Wizard

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:13 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to make something that fits with a clients website that I'm making. Essentially they are wanting an almost identical functionality to an existing site - difference is I'm having to make this in wordpress which I don't like. There is a reason websites with a lot of functionality and complex goings on are not done in wordpress and everyone that I have come across have not been done in wordpress but anyway what I'm trying I'm trying to accomplish is like a Step by Step Wizard that filters the products. Similar to a wizard you get when installing software except this one will give you options to select your specifics of your products but they want it similar to the way this website allows you to select your car.

https://www.carwow.co.uk

I'm trying to find some information about this type of filter wizard but perhaps my searching terminology is wrong or there just isn't much information about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do this sort of thing? Even maybe the proper name for the Products Filter Wizard would probably be a good start haha.

Thanks
Rob

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Step by Step Filter Wizard

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Step by Step Filter Wizard

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

Wordpress gets a lot of flack, from me included, but when I was doing agency work and even freelance websites for business, it just makes sense to use a CMS and that is the most well known and easily supported one for non-technical people.

You could always build a Wordpress plugin that does what you are after. It's the hard way, but the correct way using the tech you are using.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:25 AM

I despise WordPress with a passion. What I've just spent the last 5 hours trying to do in Wordpress with absolutely nothing to show for it I have been able to do in 10 minutes hard coding. I was trying to avoid having to create custom plugins since I simply do not know how to. I've watched a few videos on trying to make a plugin but because all plugins are different all the tutorials give you in the basics on how to get started. I can do that, creating something that shows up in the plugin folder and you can activate but from there I have absolutely no club. I got so close with a pop up plugin but the problem with that one was they want a multi-step product filter and the popup modal plugin only gives you one page, any links need to take you to a different page which they don't want.

I don't think it's simply a case of "adding another page" to that plugin which would be nice but then the only issue would be to get it to take the values inputted in that search filter and use those to search the database and return the results.

Again doing this hard coding took me about 10 minutes but trying to copy this into wordpress is an absolute nightmare. Quite ready to give up on this project!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Senior Systems Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:31 AM

It's just changing the visibility of sections in a single modal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

Yes I have been able to do that outside of wordpress just not inside wordpress. Doing more research into the carwow website the client wants to replicate, that has been built using Ruby on Rails so quite far from WordPress. I guess there is a reason stuff like this isn't done in Wordpress unless you plan on building absolutely everything from scratch. Originally the team that was supposed to be working on this with me went with wordpress because the original idea was to do a lot of payments and stuff on the site. That team has since left and left just me trying to do this and the whole thing is just falling apart. Main reason I was okay to go with WordPress was because the other developers had a lot more experience in backend stuff so probably could have built the stuff such as plugins from scratch with no problems.

Spose got to go with the hand that's dealt to us really
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 06:11 AM

WordPress has its problems, but through a combination of plugins and custom page templates, you should be able to do pretty much anything you want. (With custom templates, you can pretty much just switch from WordPress to "hardcoding" and still use the WordPress functions where you need/want to)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1