7 Replies - 564 Views - Last Post: 01 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

What is it with all the new timed testing crap for new jobs

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

So I was just sent another glorious test that they wanted done in a specific supplied IDE which is crap to start with. They put a 1 hour limit on the test. the test asked for very specific things that involve a lot of adding and subtracting items using user input.
well here is the test that they gave 1 hour to do knowing the fact that you dont even know the IDE supplied:

Please write the control software to support the following requirements:  

The cabinet will have 10 different locations with 3 different size bins to store medications.
"large" - 2 bins - stores "15 units" 
"medium" - 5 bins - stores "10 units" 
"small" - 3 bins" - stores "5 units"
The user will specify what is stored in each bin.   They will need to maintain the following attributes: 
Medication ID (NDC)
Medication Name
Bins can be reset to support different medications based on customer needs. 
A user will be able to add or remove medications from a bin
System must track what each specific users adds/removes from a cabinet (for compliance purposes)
System must be able to report out what medications need to be "reordered" based on low inventory (under 20% capacity) and recent medication usage.
Handle as many relevant edge cases as realistically possible.  

Write a scneario test to validate the functionality.  Write unit tests where feasilbe.

C# or Javascript is prefered but use which language is best for you.  

notice they also want you to write test cases in that hour
the IDE error reporter is garbage-- all it says is there is an error

what is it with these people putting such small time limits on things. also to note i am not the worlds fastest typist.

fyi the IDE does not recognize the following
Dictionaries and Lists

now solve the above without Dictionary and lists

forgot to mention it must be console

This post has been edited by DarenR: 29 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is it with all the new timed testing crap for new jobs

• Enterprise Software Architect
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is it with all the new timed testing crap for new jobs

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

Welcome to the "Everybody can code" phenomenon! Since everyone thinks they are programmers and are fluffing their resumes to say it, more tests are being enacted to prove ability over everything else. I had a tech screening by video to ensure I wasn't looking up answers for my current role, and the instructor gig had me do a 30 minute assessment to ensure that I knew what I would be teaching.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

I was talking to a friend who does a lot of video interviews. Apparently the thing he's seeing now is people who have someone else in the room feeding them answers by writing them on a whiteboard. Obviously, it's not hard to see when this is happening.

Better still, he tells me that there have been candidates who have had someone else do the video interview for them. Just straight up, someone else does their technical. And then they turn up for an in-person and it's not the person he interviewed before - what do you even say at that point?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:53 PM

I have heard some interesting ones!

One interview had someone else speaking for the person and them mouthing the words. When it was brought up, they said they were just having a delay with sound on their end.

It seems to be more..... "offshore" people from what I have heard as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Beginner
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, I suppose it's easier if they're not on site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

to me these a ridiculous --- i have never been timed in doing any coding at any job -- what they wanted was a working product
i also hate the ones that ask you to define vocab words, sorry but most teams i have ever worked on were like 2 man teams and neither of us ever spoke in vocab words with definitions -- it's been well over 10+ years since i have even thought about what some of the definitions are let alone know every magic word
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

I have been timed a few times, and most of them, I let them know I am no longer interested in proving myself when they have done nothing to show that I would want to work for them (These have all been from people reaching out to me, not me contacting them).

I can see how nomenclature is important for a variety of reasons. I worked for a company that had their shit all wrong. Classifying a direct route to a database as a service bus for instance. That is plainly incorrect. So them knowing that you can use the proper terminology is important, BUT it shouldn't even factor into whether you are employable, just that you would need to learn them if hired. Case in point, I went to a different industry than where I was. I have no clue what most of the words they use mean, never been in the financial space like this.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#8 Skydiver   User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

I recall doing one of those time tests on their IDE... Their IDE didn't support a Dvorak keyboard. I spent most of my time hunting and pecking rather than actually writing code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1